Logo

Replacing Alpha 1 Gen 1 upper unit

pugetsounder

Advanced Contributor
"I am going to replace my uppe

"I am going to replace my upper unit. The one I'm getting is in good shape, freshwater use only, no water intrusion or other contamination. What are sopme things I should replace while I have it out. So far I plan on replacing the U-joints becasue they are inexpensive and the impellor assembly. Anything else? Any seals that are easy to get to or should I leave them if they look OK.

Also does anybody use any sealant on the gaskets?

Thanks."

I would not waste my money on

I would not waste my money on the ujoints UNLESS they are tight and feel bad. They last a long time if greased propperly.
Look closely at the upper plastic piece where the water goes from the impeller.

Make sure you pressure check for leaks.

Other than that I cant think of much else.

"Thanks for the reply Kghost.

"Thanks for the reply Kghost. Greased properly is the key. That I don't know. I wish they came OEM with zirk fittings I would grease them and call it good. But I don't know what shape they are in and frankly at $22 each for Sierras with the fittings, it's cheap insurance. I was thinking of replacing that upper impellor piece anyway since I can get it in a kit. Seems like guys on this board are all for replacing the whole water pump anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Where can I have it pressure tested? Any marina or mercruiser shop?

Also do you use any sealant on the gaskets?"

"No sealent on most of the gas

"No sealent on most of the gaskets.

If you do the upper plastic piece that the water tube goes into I would use a small amount of rtv as that is one part that is not looked at very often. (small amount just to sandwich the gasket).

As far as the water pump impeller,

When ever we/I repalced a water pump in a unkown or moderatley used outdrive we replaced the entire assembly, Water pump assembly and the water pump base assembly no questions.

Grease lightly all seal lips before reassembly.

Clean all surfaces good and no need for any rtv sealant on water pump gaskets.
Just make sure you OBSERVE the order of gaskets the way they go back together.

Pressure check??? Well yes a marina can do it and probably for a fee. If you can get a air pressure guage and put in line on a bicycle pump you can do it your self.

Here is a link to what I have and use.

http://www.stevensinstrument.com/gearcase.htm"

I received my upper unit. Good

I received my upper unit. Good news is the U-joints already have grease fittings and the joints look and feel very good with no visible rust or corrosion. I'm just going to pump them full of grease and I think I'll be OK. Not happy about the way they packed it in styrofoam scraps. There is foam beads every where. I hope none of them get lodged in the cooling system or oil system. I'll blow it out real good with compressed air. I am rather excited to see if my boat has a faster top end. Hopefully boating season isn't completely over this year.

I'll be asking questions about installing this thing later. I'm sure it won't go as easy as one would hope.

Back