Logo

2003 115 four stroke how long should it be warmed up

leros

"How long should this motor be

"How long should this motor be warmed up before applying more throttle? I only ask because while running on land (with water hose connected), from idle it seems to hesitate upon acceleration and will sometimes stall. It seems the warmer the motor gets the less it hesitates.

Is there a said amount of time for warm-up?"

"After a few minutes it should

"After a few minutes it should be warm enough. If it takes a very long time, it may be running too lean at idle. If you have idle mixture adjusting screws on the carbs try opening them a quarter turn. If you have fixed mixture, you may have to open the carbs and clean the idle jets."

Thanks Tony for your response

Thanks Tony for your response but I forgot to add that it is fuel injected so I don't think I can adjust anything. I'm going to run it this weekend in a trash can of water to test it.

Fuel injected engines need lit

Fuel injected engines need little or no warm up.

Make sure that fuel is getting into the vapor seperator unrestricted. You can remove the drain plug at the bottom of the seperator and squeeze the primer. Fuel should flow freely.

"Tony, I will check the flow i

"Tony, I will check the flow into the vapor separator, what would cause it not to flow freely?

I just had the electric fuel pump replaced because the engine idled but would not run and then wouldn't start at all on a trip I was on which had to be cut short. Before the pump was replaced it had hesitation while running it in my driveway and I thought that after the elec fuel pump was replaced it would cure that. The little time I ran it when I got it back from the shop, it still hesitated but I didn't run it that long. I will run it longer today to check it and I am planning to take it out to a local lake to test it on Sunday with hopes that I won't get towed in again!

Jamie, I always warm all my engines before getting on them whether it's a truck, car, boat, or motorcycle. I was just wondering if these motors were cold blooded because of the hesitation upon opening the throttle?

Would cable adjustment from the controls to the motor contribute to any hesitation or stalling upon opening the throttle more?"

"I doubt if cable adjustment i

"I doubt if cable adjustment is the issue. Lots of things can cause fuel restriction. Clogged filter, kinked hose, etc.

If it seems to flow freely, I would next check the pressure. There is a fitting just above the electric pump for this.

That electric pump should run for about five seconds when the ignition switch is turned on."

"Okay, I had to be towed in AG

"Okay, I had to be towed in AGAIN! The hesitation was there even when it warmed up. It ran for maybe a total of 25 minutes, when it died I was getting it up to speed at about 1/2 throttle or more and at about 3800-4000 rpm it cut out a little then died. After that it wouldn't start. Any ideas?

I'm going to take it back to the shop that put the fuel pump in which they said was the cause of the same problem last time (for $500).

I hope it's not a big problem because this motor is a huge difference from the Johnson 50 that I took off, wow what a difference in power!

Now if I could just keep it running.
uhoh.gif
"

Back