Logo

Honda bf 150 will not rev

bejjs

"Hi Guys,First post from a tro

"Hi Guys,First post from a troubled boater across the pond.I have a 7m rib with a bf150 honda on the back,this rig is new too me.The problem i am having is the engine will only rev to 4000 rpm and shows about 36 knotts gps.I have spoken to a prop expert and he said the 21 inch prop was perfect for the hull and said it sounded like an engine problem.Also when reved out of gear it sounds like its hitting the rev limiter at about 3200 rpm.Any help would be much appreciated thanks"

"What rib do you have? I rigg

"What rib do you have? I rigged a 150 a couple of years ago on either a 21 or 23 ft zodiac for a fire rescue team. I will have to check to see what size prop. 21 pitch initially sounds too big, but I will reserve my opinion on that until I research what we used.

How does it run other than not up to rpm? Is it smooth? Does it miss?

What does the previous owner say?

I understand this boat is new to you. Are you new to boating? I do not want to insult you, but are you trimming the motor up once you get up on plane. I ask, because we have sold many Hondas to a 75 year old, who has boated all his life. He complained that his dual 130's would only get to 4500 rpm. It turns out the he was running it always trimmed all the way in.

You may want to drain the vapor separator into a jar and see if you have any water or debris in it. Depending on how it was serviced before it got to you, it may need the low and high pressure filters changed. The storage section of your owner's manual shows you how to drain the vapor separator. If you do not have an owner's manual, you can download one for free from the Honda-Marine web site. http://www.honda-marine.com/owners/OwnerManuals.aspx

Also, make sure your motor oil is at proper level.

The reving when not in gear is deceiving expecially if you are running it on a hose. The motor needs load and backpressure."

"Hi, I have a 6.5 meter rib w

"Hi, I have a 6.5 meter rib with a Honda 150 on it. It used a 19 prop at would get 40 Knots unloaded. I tried a 21 but lost the revs!"

"Thanks for the replys.Mike ye

"Thanks for the replys.Mike yes the engine is fully trimed out also when reving the engine out off gear its done with the boat in the water because the hose feed doesnt work too well on the honda engine.I have also given you some wrong info,the prop is actually a 20 inch propwich i have been told should have the rib running at upto 50ish knotts.The rib is a ring Many thanks

Sorry forgot to add that apart from the reving problem the engine starts first time and runs all day sweet as a nut"

I have now got a 225 Honda on

I have now got a 225 Honda on the back still only getting 46-47 Knots would be surprised of a 150hp getting anything over 42. I had the 150 on a 6 meter rib originally that only got 40 as well.

"20" pitch still sounds li

"20" pitch still sounds like too much. You need to pick the prop that gives you 6000 rpm +/- 300. That's optimum for that engine. Over or under that can waste fuel and damage engine in the long run.

If there is a local dealer or repair facility nearby, they often have spare props laying around whih you can borrow to test different sizes and pitches."

Back