Logo

95 or 96 johnson 99 hrs 2stroke

automechanic

"my customer inherited a johns

"my customer inherited a johnson 9.9 hrs that had been sitting for over 7 yrs,,,wanted me to get it running for him,,,,first thing i found that primer bulb from tank to engine was backwards,,,still no start,,i checked compression & was good,,,replaced cap & diaphrams in fuel pump,,,r&r carb twice & found lots of crapp in carb,,,,i then found water pump impellor was melted so i replaced & then found thermostat had been so hot that it melted thermostat housing,,,,,,also replaced fuel tank & changed with fresh fuel,,,,,now it will start & run but wont idle,,,i am not sure what to do @ thid point,,,i have never worked on anything so simple with so many things haywire,,has become a night-mare for me,,,hope you can help"

"If you have good compression

"If you have good compression and spark, fuel has to be your problem. If you found trash in the carb two different times, I would question the fuel lines coming apart. When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the high speed jet in the bowel and clean with a fine wire, blow out all the passages with compressed air? It sounds like you still have a carb problem, low speed circut."

"thanks for your reply david,,

"thanks for your reply david,,,,i will r&r carb again & re-check passages,,,actually last time i had it apart it was clean & no blockages,,,one thing that crossed my mind is i wonder if i have a small crack in head or head gasket leaking into combustion chamber,,,no signs just a thought"

"Now that you mentioned it, yo

"Now that you mentioned it, you said that the thermostat was melted. It might not be a idea to replace head gasket and check head to make sure it is not warped. Bring engine up to operating temp and let cool and retorque head bolts."

Back