Logo

Delay

msinkule

"So I am new to owning a boat

"So I am new to owning a boat and have a MC 120 inboard 3.0. When I put it in gear I have a delay (it starts to go then putters and then goes). This is very irritating when trying to get up on skis or a wakeboard. I changed my fuel filter and spark plugs and played with the richness which has made it better, but not perfect. Any suggestions, or is this something I need to take to a shop and have them do it? Also my speedometer doesn't work do I just need a new one, or is it usually something else (like the cable or something)?

Thanks for your help."

"could need a carb rebuild- so

"could need a carb rebuild- sounds like the accelerator pump may not be giving it's proper squirt on acceleration. Therefore, the mixture leans out when you juice it.

Also a tune up may help.
Plugs was a good start, but that's not a tune up.

speedometer issue could be weeds on the pitot tube.

The speedo has no cable - it works from water pressure as the pickup is dragged along behind the boat.

Some of the pickups pivot up and out of the way when you trailer the boat. maybe you just need to pivot it back down."

My speedometer is the kind tha

My speedometer is the kind that has the hole in the lower unit. I am not sure if the hole was clogged but I do know that it is not clogged now. I will try to ru it and see if it works. On the tune up side is that something I can do or do I need to take it to a shop?

"[i]My speedometer is the kind

"My speedometer is the kind that has the hole in the lower unit.

that's still a pitot tube, there is no cable.
A hose runs from the drive to the dash. Often the hose is kinked or disconnected at the drive end."

I took off the speedometer and

I took off the speedometer and took an air compressor and blew from the inside of the boat out and heard air coming out down by the lower unit (I coundn't hear exactally where). I am hoping the hole was just clogged. What are the two wires that are attached to the speedometer (they attach to a metel peice that it attached to a light). Is it just that a light for at night when the lights are on? I have never had it out at night.

Thanks

"The 2 wires on the speedomete

"The 2 wires on the speedometer are for the light.
you may want to tilt the drive all the way up and get your head under there and look at the hose and connection, if the drive was removed lately if may have been over looked in its replacement."

Back