Logo

OILS

nasty203

This mite sound dumb but can a

This mite sound dumb but can any one tell me the differance between marine oil & Automotive oil. The book says to use marine oil but getting to a boat shop is not easy can i use automotive engine oil in my 3.0L Mercruiser

YES!

Marine oil is sold by

YES!

Marine oil is sold by marina's. There formulas "may" be somewhat different but not enough for the average boat or boater.

I personally use Mobile 1 15-50
Also Napa sells a full synthetic 20-50 in there own bottle but has Valvoline in it!! Good value for a full synthetic oil.

Most reports on other technical web sites I float on stand by synthetic oils. They stand up much better than dino oils and also considering most OEM's are now reccomending synthetic oil for there products I would say there is some thruth to it.

JMHO

"I'm with Kghost - Mobil 1

"I'm with Kghost - Mobil 1 for the past 23 years.

Major overhauls on twin 7.4L (86 vintage, with flat tappets) at 3100 hours. Machinist was impressed by limited wear on both top and bottom end. Started w/ the 20w-50 but 'converted' to the 15w-50 when the heavier stuff got hard to find. And that's with a full change only once a year but the filter every 100 hours with a topoff."

Just remember that you want th

Just remember that you want the heavier viscosity for marine use.

Your engine spend a lot of time above 3000 rpms were as auto barly get above 2000 for prolong periods of time.

So 15-50 for mobile one and 20 -50 for napa pure synthetic......

Also napa sell a very good quality oil filter (Napa gold)

Back