Logo

Alpha One shaft seal

dan0

"Hi,
When I seperated the

"Hi,
When I seperated the gear housing from the drive shaft housing part of one of the seals (the lower one) came out with the shaft. Can I change this without removing the drivshaft housing from my boat and dismantling it all? It looks like I may have room if I can remove the water tube. Just pull the tube out right?"

This does happen from time to

This does happen from time to time.

Yes you can replace it as needed.

The larger seal above thta one is the seal that keeps the gear oil in the upper.

The one you are replacing is used to keep water intrusion from getting into the upper female spline drive gear and the verticval drive shaft splines from the lower unit.

The seal lips go facing UP so the flat can be tapped on to seat it.

"I didn't take time to ope

"I didn't take time to open the links in previous posts, so I apologize if I am repeating something that is detailed there.
I had to replace those seals a couple years ago on my 1996 Aplpha drive - one had dislodged from it's location, and I was losing grease. There has been an update to those driveshaft seals. The part is now sold as the two different sized seals held together by a small plastic carrier/retainer that heeps them where they belong when installed - yes the retainer stays with them. The NAPA/Sierra kit does not have this up to date seal assembly, so you need to get the real Mercruiser seals.
I strongly recommend replacing withthe up to date seals since you have it apart already.
Dave"

"Sorry to ask this again but i

"Sorry to ask this again but if, as kghost says "The seal lips go facing UP so the flat can be tapped on to seat it" my old seal must have been in wrong with the flat of the seal seated against the driveshaft housing. What way do it go.

It's #10 in the drawing.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=99964&ivar=IMAGES/CRUISER /99964/30067.png&inbr=2203&bnbr=80&bdesc=DRIVESHAFT+HOUSING+AND+DRIVESHAFT

Thanks!"

"Some pics of seal:

[IMG][u

"Some pics of seal:

url]

url]
"

The seal you show in the pictu

The seal you show in the pictures is designed to be installed with the open side toward the lubricant.

"OK

I have the outdrive ser

"OK

I have the outdrive service manual in front of me # 6 sterndrive, alpha one, alpha ss, R, MR.

Both seals in the upper go with the oil seal lips facing UP towards the top of the gear housing......( open side of seal faces UP)"

"Yep, the one I have to remove

"Yep, the one I have to remove is upside-down.

Any tips or hints / ideas on what to use or how to remove this seal?

Also, to install new one the manual says to use Loctite 27131? I can't find that anywhere what's everyone else using?

Thanks!!"

Just coat it with some good rt

Just coat it with some good rtv and be done with it.......

Not a critical seal for gear oil controll only for grease on spline controll from water intrusion.

Try a paint can opener. It ha

Try a paint can opener. It has a bottle cap remover on one end and a curled flat screwdriver on the other for grabbing a lip on the seal. Try two at a time; one on each side.

"If you get the new part that

"If you get the new part that has the two seals in the retainer (see my previous post), they are already oriented properly, as the whole assembly goes right on the shaft.
Dave"

Back