Logo

318 Block water passages

number6

I have a question

Could wat

I have a question

Could water left in a block's water passages over the winter cause the block to crack.

Thanks

"If it will most definitely ca

"If it will most definitely cause it to crack.

Drain the block, exhaust, etc. from every possible location and run some RV coolant through it."

"A few years ago I kept a coun

"A few years ago I kept a count of cracked blocks on this site caused by poor winterizing: 26 plus. Yup, water will wreck a motor if allowed to freeze.

Jeff"

"jhelms, I like.so many others

"jhelms, I like.so many others. have a heating problem. I have a 1981 318 Chrysler in my Skiff Craft. I have overhauled the raw water pump, installed a new engine water pump and replaced the thermostat with a 160 deg. and it still runs hot according to the guage. The manifolds are cool and I can still put my hands on the block and it won't burn me. Can anyone give me any more advice. I have only tested the engine with a Fake a Lake connection. Thakns"

"You might be okay, and your g

"You might be okay, and your gage lying to you. Hard to keep your hand on anything over 140 'F, and that's cool.

Someone add my usual message on infrared temp gages here, please!

Jeff"

RE: "replaced the thermost

RE: "replaced the thermostat with a 160 deg."

Was the existing t'stat a different value?

"are you losing coolant in the

"are you losing coolant in the heat exchanger (if FWC)? check the levels from one cruise to the next. if the level drops, your heat exchanger may be corroded and mixing coolant with sea water and the running out the exhaust. That happened on my boat and it caused one motor to run 20degrees hotter than the other. never overheated big time but it did run a bit hotter.

gotta get my heat exchanger rebuilt."

"yeah, everybody go get a infa

"yeah, everybody go get a infared heat gun at lowes in the electricians dept its $50 and u can point it at just about everything except my eye and little babies"

"I bought a boat at auction wi

"I bought a boat at auction with the drain plugs in and freeze plugs laying in the bilge. So I suspected the motor was toast. Started it up and filled the oil pan with water in about 20 seconds. They can and will crack. I thought I had a cheap replacement when a marina owner took possesion of an abandoned twin engine houseboat with 318's with only 680hrs. Guess what, plugs were left in and the freeze plugs were laying in the bilge. My search continues."

"Hi,I have chrysler 1971 (

"Hi,I have chrysler 1971 (250)didn't do winterization intill now,ther is any problem,or it still time to do it.thanks for the help any one."

"astoria NY.
its not lookin

"astoria NY.
its not looking good,, but your NOT going to get it done any sooner.
Say your prayers & get it done asap.

At least take the 1 on each side in the middle of the block out.
I can guarantee,.,, it won't make things worse.

Fred 156-M"

"If the engine is fresh water

"If the engine is fresh water cooled (antifreeze) you don't need to drain the block, but you need to drain all parts that are exposed to raw water. That would include sea cock, sea strainer, raw water pump, heat exchanger (raw water side), exhaust manifolds, risers, elbows and mufflers."

"You need to do more than just

"You need to do more than just drain it, PF, for water will hide in low spots and...Ouch! next spring. For that reason a wise boat owner will run Pink Stuff through 'til he/she sees it coming out the exhaust. Mufflers, too, need to be freeze protected.

Jeff"

"Hi,can any one tel me the sig

"Hi,can any one tel me the signification of this #, "model"
M360BWR19778
"serial#"
E-505237
"part#"
8/16/78H0134A it's chrysler.can you tel what year is the engine(250)"

"FAST JEFF,
We talked before

"FAST JEFF,
We talked before about my manifolds. Putting in new ones put I don't know how to install the water distribution tubes. Can you help me out.
Dick"

"First of all, do you have raw

"First of all, do you have raw water cooled motor? And, if so, does the water come into the manifolds from the front? If so, I recommend leaving the tubes out. BUT if the water comes in low and near the back of the motor (as it was supposed to), then you have to use the tubes with the slots aimed toward the front of the motor.

Jeff"

"Jeff, My engines are in backw

"Jeff, My engines are in backwards because of the V-drives. Fresh water cooled by raw water. Water dumps at the front of the engines. I still don't know how to install the water distribution tubes. Can you help me??? Thanks Dick"

"Dick:
It's not as import

"Dick:
It's not as important where the water enters the manifold as where and how it exits. The tube is the exit. It pulls water from near the top of the manifold. This eliminates any air pockets that might occur and keeps the manifold flooded with water. Without the tube, the water would exit at the bottom of the manifold which could allow an air pocket to develop reducing the cooling capacity of the system.
Here's a link to Oscos explanation:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/osco_manifolds/catalog.html?[url]http://www.marinee ngine.com/parts/osco_manifolds/index.htm[/url]"

Back