Logo

Power Steering cooler winterization

robbietoo

Hi there new to the forum and

Hi there new to the forum and new to this boat. I have been winterizing my 1999 Bayliner with 4.3 Mercruiser. I used to have an OMC 5.0 litre and it had a PS cooler clearly visible which I drained every fall. I have been reading procedures on several sites and looking in the engine bay but can see no reference to the cooler. Is there a PS cooler on this engine and does it self drain when I remove the four blue plugs on the block and exhaust or do I have to locate a drain and do it manually. Any help greatly appreciated.

There are TWO large hoses goin

There are TWO large hoses going to the thermostat housing. ONE is the incomming water supply.

Remove that hose and pour RV Antifreeze into the hose (slowly) and it will force the water in the line (where the power steering cooler is located) back and out the out drive.

The outdrives for MERC are self draining as OMC are NOT!

Just add the antifreeze until PINK is seen dripping out the outdrive and you have successfully winterized the power sterring cooler.

On the newer models the power steering cooler is mounted vertically so it is self draining.

Thankyou very much! Your info

Thankyou very much! Your info has taken a load off my mind. I do not have a service facility nearby and we had our first "light" frost last night. Will get it done today.
Robbie

When you remove the brass plug

When you remove the brass plugs from the block and the manifolds.

Make sure you poke them with a small screwdriver or something similar to break away the rust scale that biulds up at the holes. Water should stream out steady.

Thanx guys I had used a piece

Thanx guys I had used a piece of coat hangar wire to clear any rust etc. blockages. BTW the pouring RV antifreeze slowly into the intake hose worked very well. Thankyou for that tip. I now look forward to next April for my next excursion!

Back