Logo

Head gasket tight sequence and torque specs

fish09

sirs i have a johnson 70 horse

sirs i have a johnson 70 horse outboard j70elcnb 1982 iam about to replace head gasket but need the tight sequence and torque specs if possible i found traces of moisture in lower cylinder and feel it is causing an issue on my planing out it wont plane very low power almost strictly idle and rough at that carbs are rebuilt to specs compression is good slight varience and sprk is good to plugs found upper and middle cylinder plugs look fine lower plugs looks totally different can i get help with the specs thanks

"Around 18-20 ft./lbs. Just ti

"Around 18-20 ft./lbs. Just tighten in three steps, 10, 15, 20, ft./lbs. Run the engine for a few hours and check the torque.

Start in the center of the head and work your way towards the top and bottom evenly"

TONY thanks i sure needed that

TONY thanks i sure needed that info just let you know i took head off found water small amount in lower cylinder also 2 cracks in upper 2 cylinders in the steel ring in the gasket could see exhaust leaking there i feel i have found the no power issue with my boat i have been down quite a while missing a lot of fish again thanks for info maybe i can help you sometime

TONY if you dont mind i forgot

TONY if you dont mind i forgot to ask for torque on cylinder head cover and thermostat housing sorry about this i appreciate the help. barry

TONY thanks i appreciate this

TONY thanks i appreciate this info sure has been trying but i believe iam on track now thanks again barry

"SIRS i have finished cylinder

"SIRS i have finished cylinder head gasket ,yes it was blown however problem with power up is still there took it out for a run discovered if i play with linkage on carbs while in full throttle the motor runs as supposed to however when i stop moving linkage with fingers motor runs down on power so here is ouestion does timing advance play a part with the throttle plates in order to run adequate if so how is the adjustment done to be correct also i find that my choke plates stay closed even if iam not pushing button is this wrong? a spring on the center carb keeps the plates closed all the time. i feel that this is wrong my motor is a 1982 johnson 70 3 cylinder"

"The carbs AND the timing must

"The carbs AND the timing must be adjusted to operate in syncronization with each other. This is referred to as a link and sync procedure, and is quite detailed stepwise.

There in not an engine made anywhere that in normal running mode has the choke plates closed.
Choke plates should be closed for cold start, and open up fully when the engine is running and warm.

Get a factory manual if you want to try the link and sync procedure yourself. It has to be exact."

Barry it sounds like the manua

Barry it sounds like the manual choke lever is activated there are 3 positions
1 choke locked off
2 auto choke position
3 manual choke on

"Around 18-20 ft./lbs. Just ti

"Around 18-20 ft./lbs. Just tighten in three steps, 10, 15, 20, ft./lbs. Run the engine for a few hours and check the torque.

Start in the center of the head and work your way towards the top and bottom evenly"
Thanks I think this could really help me planning to carbonized my 1981 70hp evinrude E70TLCIM. But then some are saying that 200lbs torque so I'm wondering when I overhaul my car Mitsubishi 4D56 before, if I remember it right I torque it around 165lbs. Then this one is 200lbs?? so ok but the when I untighten the screws F it was not tight at all so I'm wondering?? hope to those info misleading F stop fooling around I could have wrecked my engine... Thanks for this info very helpful more power to you sir.

???----There is no fastener on that outboard that is 200 FT -LBS !!!!-----So stop what you are doing and get the correct information.

Back