Logo

Mercury 225 Oil Light Warning

frankb

"Hi, I was on the water the ot

"Hi, I was on the water the other day when my oil light came on. I immediatly killed the engine and checked the reservoir and it was full. Started the engine again, after 30 seconds or so the light came on. Again I killed the engine. This time I took the cover off the motor to see if there was some sort of blockage. The internal reservoir was about 2 thirds full so I replaced the cover and being ony 2 minutes from the ramp took my chances (very carefully). Again, for about 30 seconds the light remained out but it came on again. I pushed on.

Once the boat was out of the water, I flushed the engine as normal again, after 30 seconds or so the light came on. This is where I have left it.

The motor sounds fine, I have checked all of the reservoirs and they all seem to have oil. The only thing I can think of is that this is a sensor problem. Having said this, why does it take so long to turn the light on. There is no audible warning. Is this normal?

Does anybody have any ideas or should I take it to a mechanic? This is a 1995 Mercury 225 Serial # G075493. This is on the back of a Haines Signature 650F.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Frank"

"The Mercs have a rotation sen

"The Mercs have a rotation sensor on the oil pump. That could also trigger an oil alarm, but you should also hear an alarm of some sort."

"No Audible Alarm Whatsoever b

"No Audible Alarm Whatsoever but somebody advised me to allow the under cowell oil tank to fill with the lid off. When it became full, I put the lid back on and that has made the light go out at idle. I have not yet had the chance to get the boat on the water but it seems to have resolved the issue for now.

Is there any way to test the audible alarm?"

The low oil in on engine was t

The low oil in on engine was the problem.there should have also been an intermittent warning
horn(beep-beep-beep-beep.......)Check the horn!! The tank in the cowelling should remain full ALL of the time.

you could try a manual oil pre

you could try a manual oil pressure gauge in one of your oil ports to get a true reading

Back