Logo

different size drives

watertite

"I have been looking for spare

"I have been looking for spare parts for a boat I recently bought and found a 1990 four winds that is junk but still has the OMC outdrive on it. The owner does not know what it had for an engine. My question is, are there different size OMC outdrives. Mine is an 86 glastron with cobra 3.0 The boat I'm looking at is a cobra and ? engine size. Thanks for any help, Still learning."

The drive will be the same phy

The drive will be the same physical size unless you latched onto a drive from a 460 or 454 but the gear ratio inside changes depending the engine size. Post the model # off the drive and we can tell you what year and engine size it was from.

"Mr Hill ,I know you said that

"Mr Hill ,I know you said that drives are different depending on motor size, But are the lower units the same or are they geared different also?"

there are some different lower

there are some different lower ratios. There are also some 4 cylinder Cobras that employed the larger lower with a 15 spline propshaft instead of the more common 13 spline.

"Pretty sure you've got th

"Pretty sure you've got the 13 spline prop shaft so you are limited to the same, probably 2.3 and 3.0 up to about 1989 vintage should be ok. If in doubt just count the # of splines on the prop shaft, for sure anything like a 4.3 and up will not match yours."

Back