Logo

b03 Johnson Safe mode

controlu

"50 h.p. 2-stroke The top cyli

"50 h.p. 2-stroke The top cylinder looses spark after running for a while, and then only fires every now and then. Bottom cylinder runs fine. Mechanic tells me it is getting hot and going into "safe mode", needs cleaned out at $1,500. I never get/got a hot horn, and does "safe mode" only cut out one cylinder?"

"i'd say thats way too hig

"i'd say thats way too high,...u may just need a new wtr pump kit.!...S.L.O.W. mode,WOULD,just cut one cyl.....not getting a horn,is not that unusual...when,did u last test,...the horn?"

i am no expert but my 60 hp ev

i am no expert but my 60 hp evenrude was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the water pump once that was fixed had no problem and one more thing fine your self a good machanic that is not into ripin people off

"I suggest that you look aroun

"I suggest that you look around somewhat for a different "mechanic". Things to do yourself that doesn't require rocket science mentality.......

Check spark plugs for traces of water. Check compression. Let us know what you find here.

Describe exactly what the spark plugs look like. What make and type (number) spark plugs are you using,and at what gap?

Spark plugs removed, check spark which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Does it? No tester? Read on.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"I had a couple of "shade

"I had a couple of "shade tree" mechanics on this thing already and the problem just kept getting worse. Started out as an "every now and then it would drop out" thing, now it's an "every now and then it will fire" thing. When It first starts up it will run great for about ten min. and that sorta tells me the overtemp problem is right. 145-150 PSI compression, spark tested fine, plugs are correct, water comes out the pee tube just fine (full flow).
Assuming it is a water passage clog, is there a way to "roter-rooter" the passages with out dis-assembly? like, remove the thermostats and run a flexable something through the passages? And, now that I think of it, how would they know it is a clog and not a malfunctioning thermostat?
As for finding a good mechanic, there aren't a bunch of 'em in S.W. Florida, I've been through three lately, gave up and took it to a dealer."

"Another question: Just what d

"Another question: Just what does S.L.O.W. do? I know it restricts the rpm, but how does it do it?"

Back