Logo

1995 150HP Ocean Runner One fouled plug

mcgurk

"Motor is running rough above

"Motor is running rough above 4500 RPM and drops to 3600 then climbs back up to 4500. No problems at lower speeds. Compression is 95 - 100lbs in all six cylinders. Seems a little low, but I was told that it is normal for this motor? One plug (top right side)is black. All others are tan and look normal. Fuel or ignition?"

"Run it with a timing light ho

"Run it with a timing light hooked to number 1. Look into the light and see if you can detect the spark going away on that plug when it boggs down...
Compare to a known good cyl.
That's an optical ignition, right? May need special ignition analyzer tool...."

"Yes it has an optical ignitio

"Yes it has an optical ignition. I was told by the dealer, when I bought the boat this past spring, that the optical sensor and power-pact were replaced over the winter. Wouldn't a bad optical sensor affect all cylinders not just one? What is the optical analzer tool? Is it a special OMC tool?
Thanks."

"I guess the question was to m

"I guess the question was to me....
I will be the first to say I do not know much of anything about the optical ignition system.
I just know a very few things...optical sensor, optical timing wheel, and the need for a special tool to set the timing. Please optical guys...help him out a bit.
But, a free test to see if it is carbs or ignition...which was your first question....is to drop a timing light on it as I suggested.
I will back out of this discussion, cause I don't know the 150 crossflow opticals at all."

"150 crossflows did not have t

"150 crossflows did not have the 2000 series opt ign..just--FYI......i dont think u have a sensor prob at all,..i think,..u have a pwr pack prob...but,..it should be tested per the brp manual.........most times,not all ,when that sensor fails..u r dead in the water."

"a cpl other things i thought

"a cpl other things i thought of,are--loose timing wheel,spd limiter kicking in,damaged timing wheel...u can see the references,on cdi web site,under 'downloads'...."

"JWBMarine,
What is the CDI w

"JWBMarine,
What is the CDI web site? I've searched the web and don't find anything related to Outboards.
John"

Back