Logo

E 3 Spark plugs

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
"Was wondering if anyone had e

"Was wondering if anyone had ever tried using these plugs in a crusader engine. Had never heard of them until today while talking with my brother in law, who makes his living as a mechanic, with land vehicles. He told me he put a set of these plugs in his truck and noticed a huge difference in how much better it ran."

"Scott,

I tried a set in my

"Scott,

I tried a set in my 2 cylinder lawn mower. Not cheap and they seem to cause a lean condition where I needed to give it a little choke to keep it running smoother. After changing them to OEM, ran fine"

"Thanks for the info Al, it se

"Thanks for the info Al, it seems in googling these plugs there are people who swear by them and some who swear at them... I am having some oil burning issues in a couple of cylinders and was wondering if putting these plugs in I may avoid some fouling issues. And they aren't cheap either, about twice the price of a normal NGK. Maybe I'll just move up a heat range or so??"

"Well that is a decision not t

"Well that is a decision not to move too quickly on either. The LAST thing you probably want to do is fry up a hole in the pistons.

Did you run any other quantitative tests, like vacuum or compression?"

"Scott; I've been running

"Scott; I've been running an aftermarket ignition system, stock plugs but gapped at .045 or so. That may work for you. The Jacobs omnipac also replaces the coil."

"My current plugs are gapped a

"My current plugs are gapped at .045 I have the EFI system, would aftermarket system help? And yes concerned about frying a piston with increase in heat range. The two cylinders that were wet with oil had compression of 175 each, some folks here suggested leaking valve seals, but had valve job two years ago with only about 150 hours since... vacum test is normal. Don't have the tools to do a leakdown test. Thought if I moved up just one notch on the heat range and checked the plugs frequently I may avoid the fouling."

"If I want to redo the compres

"If I want to redo the compression test, do I need to ground the ignition wire from the distributor before I crank the engine or can I just pull the wire?"

"You do want to ground the hig

"You do want to ground the high tension wire. If you don't, it will stress the distributor with over-voltage, maybe cause flashover."

You would still risk having an

You would still risk having an open spark in the engine compartment. I had a problem once with that 2 cylinder mower and pulled the plgs to clear the cylinders. Gas ignited like a BLOW TORCH !...Opened my eyes up real fast

"You should remove all the plu

"You should remove all the plugs to increase the cranking speed. It should be easier to ground the hi tension wire out of the coil, if you have EST. Alternatively, remove 12v power to the ign system."

"Scott:

Never messed with t

"Scott:

Never messed with the E3 stuff, specifically. Changed the plugs in the truck two years ago (p0300 code was pending @ 110,000 mi). Got the multi-prong "high tech" ground electrode variant from bosch per the clerks recommendation. (My #1 cyl is the problem child in the truck.) Still haven't determined the source of the 'leak' but it is consistent about fouling/leaving deposits on the plug...well, that high tech style of plug didn't make it 10000 miles without dying. When it fouled, the engine wasn't running a little rough, it was a constant miss....back to the store and got a new plug...8000 miles, SSDD.

That trip got the even more sophisticated electrode design. Talked them into another to keep the coil load 'balanced'. within 12000 my 'miss' was back.

Went back to a 'standard' style double platinum plug and haven't had any issues since.

Dave's "pull the B+" trick is the way I do it."

The AC Delco MR43T has worked

The AC Delco MR43T has worked for me very well and so has the RV8C Champion in the other boat

"a spark is a spark ,standard

"a spark is a spark ,standard plugs have served me fine [mr43t] sometimes you may need hotter or colder but still standard."

"Right on, brother!

Think

"Right on, brother!

Think of the gas you can buy after saving X bucks on exotic, unnecessary spark plugs.

Jeff"

"I would think this is a HUGE

"I would think this is a HUGE effect of their marketing. When I was a kid, I would go into an auto store and read a can of goo. It promised all kinds of great things. SO, not being very familiar with mechanics, I would believe that this "goo" was going to really prevent wear, provide more power, give better off the line starts, etc,etc.etc.

Almost every product out there has a specialty strategy for some improvement or another. I have come to believe today after 40 years of BS, that a well designed, well built and well maintained engine needs little more."

"Thanks all, decided to go wit

"Thanks all, decided to go with the tried and true standard plug, went with the Champion RV12C which according to the auto parts guy is equal in heat range to the AC-MR44T and one step hotter than the AC-MR43T. We'll see how they work..."

Back