Logo

How many hours on your honda outboard

fiveforksas

"I was just wondering how many

"I was just wondering how many hours these motors are good til. we drive the cars for a life time but how many hours can we get on the outboard motors. My brother inlaw is a guide and he put his most hours on a mercury opti but never used a honda. The merc made 3,000. looking for some good reports."

"personally, I have 2 hondas 2

"personally, I have 2 hondas 25 hp and 90 hp. Gotten very little service always needs repair.m Corrosion is a big problem. Carbs are a problem, DO NOT LEAVE ANY FUEL IN CARB. Replaced a 1972 evenrude with a 90 honda, Wish I had not. Better luck to you than I have had."

"Forgive the long-winded reply

"Forgive the long-winded reply.

When I researched this question 3 years ago I found that it is highly dependent on the size engine, usage environment, and most importantly, maintenance. I bought my Honda 225 with the expectation of getting 3000 hours. I follow the maintenance schedule as published, with some exceptions - see below.

At 250 hours my dealer found metal filings in the block. It was a manufacturing problem. Honda replaced the block and oil pump under warranty. Since then, everything is working fine.

My usage rate is around 250 hours per year in salt water, with a lot of 30 minute to 1 hour runs at WOT to get to the fishing grounds, then lots of trolling from 700 rpm to 2100 rpm.

One mistake I made when I first got the engine. After the break-in period, I still took it easy on the engine, mostly keeping it around 5000 rpm on those long runs. When they tore down the engine to replace the block, the mechanic pointed out that the engine had not been broken in well. HDS revealed I had less than 2 hours at WOT. After break in, you should run the engine at WOT as much as possible over the next 100 hours in order to fully seat the rings and valves.

Other lessons learned - applies to bigger engines.
1. Replace (or at least remove and inspect) plugs at 200 hours, not the 400 recommended by Honda. After 400 hours, plugs have a tendency to get stuck in the head and cannot be easily removed.
2. When you change oil, always replace the filter, unlike the 200 hour oil filter change Honda recommends.
3. Change water pump impeller every 200 hours, especially if operating in saltwater or shallow water conditions.
4. Install a Racor filter & fuel/water separator in the gas line before the pump up bulb - that does a lot to keep your onboard fuel/water separator and fuel filters clean and trouble free.
5. Use an additive to your gas to prevent phase separation of the ethanol laced gas.

The one thing that is responsible for many outboard engine failures is lack of use. When engines are allowed to set up unused for long periods without proper preparation, a surprising number of things can go wrong."

The reason I started this post

The reason I started this post is I purchased a 2003 225 with 780 hrs.It needs a tune up but more money spent on the corrosion I started asking about the corrosion problem but am interested in how long they will last. keep the input coming and I am looking for a good used lower unit.

"I do all the preventive stuff

"I do all the preventive stuff, every trip flush engines, replace impellars yearly, one thing while replacing shift cables today at shop I wasn't aware of was changing thermostat yearly hadn't changed mine in long time , mine were stuck open and replaced today got 960 hrs on motors 225hp , chnge oil according to manual
I use corrision x on every thing don't have any issues with that. I run mine doing charters weekly for last two years and bought mine new 2002 . One thing I reccomend is buy a shop manual for your year motor and browse thru it lots of good info that will save you heart ache and money. Was funny today asked mechanic same questions about mantience and how long they will last , on manteince he brought out same EXACT shop manual I had
"

"Ditto on Aristakat's post

"Ditto on Aristakat's post. Get a shop manual - it's worth every penny. And, yes, do check the thermostats every year or every 200 hours, whichever comes first. If they stick, they will typically stick open. Running that engine for any length of time too cold will cause problems."

"I worked the "Lake Siskiy

"I worked the "Lake Siskiyou" rental fleet of motors (7.5's) for 9 years. These were in constant rental service all summer and most were 1980's "blue" motors. They had a zillion hours on them and I started rebuilding the smokers (about 4 of 15) in 2002. Some of the lowers had pinion gear thrust bearing problems, but suspect that was due to previous bad shimming. The last 2 years of their rental seasons had no loss due to engine problems. And we did switch to Amsoil in 2003."

"Thanks for everyone who has g

"Thanks for everyone who has given advise. I am going to purchase a new/used foot housing and change everything over, install new water pump--do I need to get a housing kit? i see them on the internet complete. Then tune up engine (plugs-filters) and install a new thermastat. but how often does this engine need a timing belt? I havent heard anyone say? I will continue to ask questions to get this done..OH a buddy of mine who works for an acura dealer is doing my engine work."

I know this is an ancient thread but I have something interesting to share.
I once bought a used 45 horsepower Honda with tiller controls. The engine was extremely well maintained. The owners manual had handwritten notes that documented every time the original owner had the engine serviced. He was a fishing guide at a lake in Northern California. I don't think the engine ever saw saltwater.
I paid $300 for the engine and it came with the tach and the hour meter.
The hour meter, which I still have, showed a whopping 7283 hours and the handwritten notes kept by the owner confirmed this. Every 200 hours the engine went in for service. I don't think there were ever any major repairs done to the engine. Just regular maintenance.
I put the motor on a 13' Whaler and probably put another 2 or 300 hours on it before I sold it.
The motor ran very well on a fresh valve adjustment but it would not hold the adjustment. At least one of the rockers was wearing a groove into the spacer below it and eventually the rocker was going to lose contact with the valve stem.

I see the software has been upgraded here since '09 to allow for punctuation :)

7500 hours?!?!
Whew!

That's better'n many big Diesels!

Shows that what chawk_man says is true....
...do the maintenance!

YAY HONDA!

Back