Logo

Kohler generator surging

awkw

I have a 1977 vintage Kohler g

I have a 1977 vintage Kohler gen that started surging. It was running fine earlier this season but it hadn't been run for about 3 weeks and is now surging.I played with the sensitivity adjustment but it still surges could something be sticking in the governer?

"I am sitting in a hotel room

"I am sitting in a hotel room in Geneva reading the messages on the MarineEngine.com forum. It is the least expensive thing I can do in this expensive place, and probably the most entertaining.

I thought of another problem that has caused surging of the engine on my Kohler. My carb needed cleaning and adjusting. This eliminated the surging. I think was is because the carb was running a lean mixture. This may also match with Jeff's bad gasoline. If the alcohol separates, the octane will be lower and water in the fuel will result in a lean mixture.

Did you get your problem fixed?

Chuck Hanson"

"I believe that was my problem

"I believe that was my problem also. I had put a new kit in the carb. and after playing with the carb. valves it is running better, but I'm now trying to undo all the govenor adjustments that I made while it was actually a carb. issue

Thanks!"

"This week my travels have tak

"This week my travels have taken me to Geneva Switzerland. Only relationships to boating is that this is the way I pay for my boating habit and there are some beautiful boats on great lake here.

Al willis, there are two critical issues relative to your generator output. One is frequency and the other is voltage. I believe on this particular generator you are looking for an output of 110 volts at a frequency of 60 Hz (cycles per second). The frequency can be measured by an oscilloscope or knowing the specs of the generator, by the speed of the engine in revolutions per minute (RPM). I don't have my book with me but I expect your engine is designed to run at 1800 RPM. I like the direct of measuring the frequency which eliminates any question.

I don't know of any adjustment for voltage. i believe this is set by the windings which are not variable. Maybe someone else can opine on this topic.

Chuck Hanson"

"My Westerbeke and ONAN manual

"My Westerbeke and ONAN manuals both imply that voltage is essentially fixed and the frequency is a regulated component of engine speed, typically 1800 rpm

Hey Chuck...SWITZERLAND ... Chocolate or Skiing?
"

In meetings at the United Nati

In meetings at the United Nations 14 hours each day. No real fun here but good eating.

The reason I would assure that you have 60 Hz is that some of your electrical will either not operate properly or just get burned up.

Chuck

"I believe you are correct abo

"I believe you are correct about the 110 VAC at 60 HZ. I have the boat dry docked and ready for our usual cold Iowa winter. Thanks for your suggestions, I will be anxious to work on it in the spring

Al Willis"

Back