Logo

1989 Mercury 100 recently rebuilt now have cold start problems

donniebowers

"Over the summer I have posted

"Over the summer I have posted a couple of times and have found this forum to be a crucial resource for me.

Now, I have one last niggling little problem. I rebuilt my 89 merc 100ob. It is mounted on its original boat. An 89 Glastron Sierra 170. I have not only bored (.1500 over) and replaced Pistons, I have also replaced or rebuilt; the Stator, the trigger, the power pack, the fuel pump, the water pump, the thermostat and and the plugs. I also removed the automatic oiling system and am running it premixed at 50/1.

Its basically new except for the block, lifters, valves and
bearings and various components and hardware.

The problem lies in cold starts. When its hot it runs and starts like its new. The colder it is...

Ok so before anyone asks, the carbs are those stupid proof merc carbs, that just need cleaned once in a while, which we have done twice. The lines are all clear, the primer bulb is new. I have tried letting out the enrichening screws to allow for the larger bore. I have checked an rechecked everything.
I am at a complete stymie.

Ive put all this time and money into this motor and am forced to use starting fluid every time I start it cold, or even after sitting for a half an hour. I did notice one odd thing however. I was able to correct the problem in the driveway with a hose, but as soon as it goes in the water, somehow the backpressure of being submerged seems to bring the problem back.

I admit, I am not an expert on this engine, but over the last few months, I think I have got a darn good understanding of the basics of it.

I have considered the timing, but dont think thats it.

Anyone???"

Well I'm glad you didn&#39

Well I'm glad you didn't do anything with the valves and lifters since you don't have any. Disconnect the output hose from the enrichner and route it to a container. Now turn the key on and push it in. If working properly the enrichner should "pulse" out fuel. STOP using starting fluid. There is no lube in it. Use pre-mix in a spray bottle.

"Ok. I feel like an idiot. Ju

"Ok. I feel like an idiot. Just assumed it was kinda like other motors, and I saw the engine open and it had a crankshaft, so... Anyway. We tried testing the enrichener by pressing in key while running, but I was wondering if it was actually working properly. Good Idea. Thnx 4 the idea ibnfshn. Let u know if it tells us anything. Never considered the starting fluid to be a hazard since its really just ether fumes. Learn something every day."

Back