Logo

Rock hit and now wonbt turn over

krustytheclown

"I struck a rock today, wasn&#

"I struck a rock today, wasn't going very fast, no prop damage and seemed to just flatten the skeg out abit on the bottom. The engine stalled though and now it won't even turnover. It's like its stuck in gear or something but the starter can't even turn the motor over? Any suggestions could I just jammed the gears in the lower end or am I in serious trouble?"

"What year, engine, OD? Won&#

"What year, engine, OD? Won't turn over meaning the engine won't crank or it cranks but won't start?"

89 3.0 l with alpha 1 outdrive

89 3.0 l with alpha 1 outdrive
It has plenty of amps to turn over but the engine won't even crank. the starter engages but won't turn the engine over.

Pull the spark plugs out and s

Pull the spark plugs out and see if it's hydrolocked. If it is not then take off the OD and see if it will crank the engine.

"hydrolocked is when water get

"hydrolocked is when water gets in the cylinders, common problem with bad Intake/Exhaust manifolds and risers on that engine. Can also be from a cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket, and rarely cracks in the cylinders themselves."

ROCK = OUTDRIVE = possible loc

ROCK = OUTDRIVE = possible lock up/broken gear.......As Guy suggested.

Remove the outdrive and retry starting engine.

If it starts the problem is in the outdrive.

If so let us know and/or have marina look at it.

"Hydrolock is when water gets

"Hydrolock is when water gets in the cylinders and doesn't compress like fuel/air mix does. It can bend connecting rods and other internal crucial items. Even if no damage, if the water is not addressed quickly it can rust your rings to the cylinder walls.

No prop damage? I'm leaning towards hydrolocked but hopefully I'm wrong. If water shot past your shutter (if it is in bad shape or missing) when you stopped suddenly you could shot water into the engine while running and caused some havoc. Like I said, hopefully wrong."

Back