Logo

43 liter thermostat sleeve removal

dan0

"Hi,
How do I remove the

"Hi,
How do I remove the copper thermostat sleeve on a 4.3 L mercruiser without destroying it? Just trying to change my thermostat. The engine is sea water cooled.

Thanks!"

Danny:

You can try some CLR

Danny:

You can try some CLR around the edge; it's rusted in place along w/the thermostat. I just pry it out along w/the t'stat.

Clean out the rust and scale for the sleeve and t'start base using a Dremel and coarse sanding drum then finish polishing the sleeve and seat area w/a finer drum. Best tool you will ever buy.

You can also soak the disassembled t'stat hsg. for 3 hours in a bucket of muriatic acid (DANGEROUS BURN HAZARD) to clean out the internal passages. Remove any plugs and the ball valve "T" assy. first. Rinse well and blow dry. Use the dremel as needed.

The sleeve is too thin and wil

The sleeve is too thin and will expand w/the heat. You could apply ice to the sleeve after the heat; it may come out.

Thats what I was thinking that

Thats what I was thinking that the expansion and cotraction would break it free?

"Clean the entire unit by soak

"Clean the entire unit by soaking in radiator cleaner (oxalic acid power in water). After soaking a few hours, dry off a little bit and liberally use penetrating oil around the sleeve edges, top and bottom. Sometimes this alone allows you to slowly tap the thermostat out along with the sleeve.

If you have not yet gotten it out, drive the thermostat out with a block of wood (destroys the thermostat of course). This leaves a very thin gap above the sleeve. If you are lucky you may have a small puller that will engage the upper rim of the sleeve in the gap. If not, use a screwdriver blade and use many light taps with a mallet around and around the edge of the sleeve driving it out slowly. Sometimes you get lucky and can press it out using the "windows" in the sleeve. Just work slowly to not damage the housing.
If the sleeve is reluctant to go back in the housing, liquid soap is a good lubricant with a flat block of wood as a tapping surface."

So far I have the thermostat o

So far I have the thermostat out. I was destroyed as you said but the sleeve remains in place. I've left it soaking in penetrating oil.

"Funny,
I bought some PB bl

"Funny,
I bought some PB blaster today because I was out of WD-40. First time I senn PB, is it any good?"

PB worked like a charm. After

PB worked like a charm. After a few hours tapped it out with a hammer and screw driver.

Thanks!

Back