Logo

25 hp johnson

john_mark

"a few issues:-
motor is diff

"a few issues:-
motor is difficult to start, won't idle, runs at fast idle but "chuffs" and dies after 15 secs. Also does not go to full revs at wot when travelling in gear. I had the mixture screw initially set at 1 and 1/2 turns out and tried to run it richer with a further 1/2 turn out without improvement. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mark"

Has this motor been sitting fo

Has this motor been sitting for awhile? It sounds like a carb problem. If you could supply a model number we could tell exactly what year and model motor you have.

"On the front of the carb bowe

"On the front of the carb bowel there is a 7/16 plug, remove plug and inside is the high speed jet. If possiable remove jet and clean with fine wire. If you can't get the jet out, try running wire into opening about 2 inches. If that helps, it is time to remove carb and rebuild."

"Many thanks for your response

"Many thanks for your response David. So it merely sounds like a main jet restriction? I was going to pull off the carb for cleaning just as a matter of course anyway, so will definitely do so now and hopefully have some feedback by the week's end. Does fuel go through the main jet at idle speed with the butterfly shut or does it go through a seperate idle circuit? Thanks again for your assistance"

"There are different circuts i

"There are different circuts in the carb, but a restricted high speed jet can cause a problem at idle, restricts fuel flow. Overhauling carb is best option, make sure you remove all jets, clean passages and blow out with compressed air. Preset your low speed and final adjust with engine running. Make sure and post back about results."

"Serviced carb, pulled flywhee

"Serviced carb, pulled flywheel. Horror, magnets have been rubbing on coils. Timer base is worn on its spigot, about 1 m/m play on dia, and crank bearing has bit of play.
"

"Hi guys , is the fuel mix for

"Hi guys , is the fuel mix for a 25hp evinrude electric start 50/1.
no manual with boat when I bought it and have had a few people say it should be 25/1.
can you help get me on the right mix please}}"

Back