Logo

Oil change timing on 120

no_exp

"I have 3200 hrs on the 1980 F

"I have 3200 hrs on the 1980 F/L 120 and the manual states to change oil every 200 hrs but does not say each season as it does for the transmission. I have 100 hrs and will store the boat for 6 mos in AK. Would there be any adverse effects if I wait for 2 years or 200 hrs? Also, is it best to change it before or after storage?"

"Always change before a layup

"Always change before a layup like that. The acids and any moisture etc. will eat away metal over the winter.

I recommend changing the oil then starting the engine and let it run for 15 minutes at least to get the warm fresh oil into all the galleys and parts. Store the boat with fresh fluids. If it's time to change antifreeze, do it before layup.

You do know about changing oil in the injection pump every 50 hours also? Very important for older engines, but also a good thing for "young" engines like yours also.

K"

"As an owner of a 120 F/L powe

"As an owner of a 120 F/L powered trawler, I am faced with winter lay-up next week. Due to an austerity budget, I'm looking to save what few dollars I have. My question is this: Is there great harm in changing my engine oil without changing the oil filter until Spring?"

"In my opinion, the filter sho

"In my opinion, the filter should be changed. The used oil in the filter will mix with the new oil and a certain amount of contaminant will remain in the engine. I presume you have the standard spin on Ford filter available just about everywhere. A cheap PH-1 filter is certainly better than an old contaminated one. One should always use top quality filters, but if the choice is between not changing it and using a cheap one, I'd choose changing to a cheaper filter."

Back