Logo

Propellers

struluet

I have a 1968 aq120b 270 outdr

I have a 1968 aq120b 270 outdrive and @ 3400-3600 rpms the boat will not plane it plows bad I was told that it should have an 15-17 pithc power propeller on it dose that sound right.I think the propeller on it now is an hight speed propeller. Thank you.

"I would say from your informa

"I would say from your information provided, that you currently have too agressive of a pitch now.

I previously had a Owens 20' hull powered by a AQ115/200 and ran a 13"/13 pitch prop.

You need to know the pitch of your current prop to determine what pitch will pull your tub on plane.

Rule of thumb...your rpm will increase +/- 300 for every two pitch of the prop.

If you are running a 15 pitch and your WOT is 3500 rpm then decreasing pitch by 2, or a 13 pitch, should bring your rpms to 3800 +/-."

"hard to guess at pitch but if

"hard to guess at pitch but if you have a big heavy boat (19 footer) then yeah, you probably want 15-17 pitch.

If you have a lightweight 16 footer probably more like a 21P would be best.

Don't assume pitch is the problem until you know what prop you have.
If it ever ran right with that prop then do not change it. Find the cause of the lack of engine power and fix it.
Your prop most likely is stamped with it's pitch or a googleable part number"

"Often folks are not happy wit

"Often folks are not happy with the top speed of their boat, they buy a bigger prop, it overloads the engine and things either are no better or worse, they sell the boat. These are usually boats that the seller has some excuse for not sea trialing the boat, or stating..."could use a tuneup."
Per "Hys" post...
did it ever run right? If it did, not a prop problem...if a new to you boat, maybe the prop, maybe not...A good start is to tell us WHICH Bayliner you have, and the # stamped on the prop."

"sorry I should have told you

"sorry I should have told you all that I done so far I hve replace the distriber cap new points new condenser new fuel pump new plug wires the carb was redone by guarantee carburetor in florida the accelerator pump valve was cracked had them rebuild carburetor. timing is set @ 10 btdc checked and clean the fuel tank, new fuel lines its a quanter master aq120b 270 blbb34um0379-9 bayliner any would be nice and it dose start missing at 3600 rpms and removed the also removed the fuel line check valve on the fuel tank. Thank you hope this helps you help me thanks."

RE: "removed the fuel line

RE: "removed the fuel line check valve on the fuel tank"

REplace it... not having one is a safety issue.

Back