Logo

BF225 O2 sensor

jafo9

"this is my first post. up un

"this is my first post. up until this week i've been an i/o guy. i just bought an 03 premier pontoon with the bf225. it seems to run great and runs to about 5800rpm with 2 adults on a 25ft boat pushing about 44mph gps. after trolling this forum for a while, it would seem i have a bad o2 sensor. runs fine, but if it idles for a few minutes, buzzer goes off. turn off, restart and go, no buzzer.

i was fortunate to get the TSB#56 from another member. as i was reading the procedure to change the o2 sensor they mention a special socket (deep 22mm with a cutout). i don't have this tool. can i use a box end wrench? or is this a tool i should be able to find somewhere?

also, from my reading, my understanding is that it will not harm the motor to run it with a bad o2 sensor. true?

thanks, brian."

"I can not remember if there i

"I can not remember if there is room for a box end wrench. You should be able to purchase the proper socket at almost any autoparts store. I have used ours to change the o2 senser on my Mazda Miata.

The o2 sensor helps the engine run at its optimum. By deduction, it is not good for the engine if the engine is run for a long time with a bad o2 senser.

You may want to consider having the total update done to your motor, if it hasn't been already. It also changes out the exhaust tubes. The new tubes help block water from getting into the engine. Otherwise, you will probably have continuing problems with the o2 sensor.

W D Neal will probably have some comments on this, since he has a 225hp himself and is very familiar with the update."

"Motor will run with bad HO2 s

"Motor will run with bad HO2 sensor, but fuel economy will go to hades, and emission polution goes up. You'll see large and thick telltale black marks at the exhaust ports on back of engine. BUT, if your engine does not have the corrected exhaust tubes installed, you stand a change of injesting water into the cylinders. If that happens under load, bye bye engine - total, and very expensive rebuild. So, get the new exhaust tubes installed.

As for removing HO2 sensors, they are completely exposed on the exhaust manifolds, and appear to be easy to remove with a box end wrench, although I've never had to remove mine. Installation torque is 31 ft lbs."

"so honda refused to repair my

"so honda refused to repair my exhaust tubes. not sure how hard my local shop tried. i've not been real impressed with them so far. it looks like this exhaust repair will become a winter project for me. the kit only costs about $180, the mechanic at my shop wants to charge $1000.

in the interim, i'll likely just change out the H2OS. there isn't really that much boating left for me this season.

when the buzzer goes off at idle (intermittent beep), is the only way to silence it to restart the motor? can you just raise the rpm's? i may put a little switch in line just so i can dock with out this thing making my eardrums bleed. of course i'll have to remember to turn it back on for normal use."

"If you read the last page of

"If you read the last page of the Service Bulletin, it says that it may be eligible for goodwill consideration. I am not sure what the original warranty was (probably 3 years in 2003)...then it has been out of warranty since 2006.) It turns out to be a judgement call by Honda. I have never seen goodwill consideration that far (3 years plus) out of warranty.

You can always call Honda Consumer Relations yourself (770-497-6400) and discuss directly with them.

As you can see from the Service Bulletin, the change is not difficult, it just takes some time. Honda alots 2.5hr. I have yet to do it in that amount of time.

Good luck!"

"thats what the shop guy said.

"thats what the shop guy said. he said that honda said it was too far out of warranty.

it looks like a pretty easy project, just lots of bolts to loosen and then re-torque. I'm by no means a mechanic, but i've been wrenching to some degree all my life. my last winter project was to replace the motor in one of my jet skis and to rebuild the carbs in another.

about how long would you estimate it would take the average shade tree mechanic? i know this is pretty open ended, but i'm curious to know what you think."

"Since you have not done it be

"Since you have not done it before and only have hand tools, I would allow 4 to 6 hours. It would help to have a second person to help hold some of the bigger pieces as you take them off and especially when you put them back on.
With no interruptions or beer breaks, you might do it in less than 4 hours.

Take some pictures before you take off the exhaust and water tubes so you know how they are oriented when you put them back on."

You should plan to replace bot

You should plan to replace both HO2 sensors in the process. They're rather pricey. A big AMEN to Mike's suggestion on taking pictures of the disasembly.

Back