Logo

Just bought this boat and motor need help

"yes,it does...do u have tilt

"yes,it does...do u have tilt and trim,...decides,the amnt of amperage,ur unit puts out...my guess is its a 6,-9 amp which is not much,....and,..this,..is rated,...at 5000 rpm,..many dont know this,and many...dont understand that."

It has one which is built into

It has one which is built into the stator part of the engine.
So its not charging?
What year of motor?

yes its a 77 it doent seem to

yes its a 77 it doent seem to be charging the battery went dead and I have not had a chance to trouble shoot because I had to come into work. even if it were working that doesnt look like enouph to run more than just lights and a fish finder. can I put one on with a larger capacity?

The motor will charge 6000 to

The motor will charge 6000 to 9000 watts of power per hour....add up how many watts your lights are etc etc and you will have a total then compare the two figs.
You will find that the charging system is capable of running your boats electrics.

If yours is a 6 amp then thats

If yours is a 6 amp then thats 78 watts or if its a 9 amp thats 117 watts.
The most common failure that I have seen is the rectifier.
Its about an inch or bigger around with two ears on it to bolt it to the block.
You will find 2 or 3 yellow wires and one red one going to it.
You can use a meter to check it

"(Small Rectifier Descript

"(Small Rectifier Description & Location)
(J. Reeves)

On most 2,3,4,6 cylinder engines, the small rectifier is located on the starboard (right) side of the engine just in front of the engines electrical wiring strip. There are a few older V4 engines that have the wiring strip on the rear portion of the engine and the rectifier would be located just under that terminal strip. The smaller horsepower engines usually have the rectifier located on the starboard side of the powerhead close to the carburetor area.

The rectifier appears to be a round object approximately one inch (1") in diameter and also about one inch (1") high. The base of it is sort of triangular in appearance and is attached to the engine with two (2) screws/bolts..... usually one screw/bolt is larger than the other. The rectifier, depending on which one your engine uses, will have either:

One Red wire, one Yellow wire, and one Yellow/Gray wire, or One Red wire, and two Yellow wires.

Note that either of the above rectifiers could have a fourth wire which would be Yellow/Blue

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store
(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back