Logo

43 blown head gaskets

sharkin95

Regular Contributor
"Well the original problem was

"Well the original problem was running too hot 180-190 after warm-up of 160 slow increase.thought it was a water pocket in alpha 1 ,thought it was t stat housing,thought it was engine water pump.Did a compression test 2-4-6- pumped up to 140 decreased to 80-70 in less than 10 seconds,1-3-5- 120 120 135 held o.k. but not great compression.Today took it apart (6 hrs.)found 2-4-6- egg shaped head gasket 1-3-5- slight egg shaped.what was weird...no sign of water intrusion,no water in oil,no steam comming out of exhaust,plugs were black soot and light brown.Intake gasket no water intrusion.The thing is I did this same job 3 years ago.. Any Thoughts on how to proceed to re asemble."

"... I did this same job 3

"... I did this same job 3 years ago."

Put a straight edge on the heads and block mating surfaces; they may need milling to true them. If the surfaces are warped then look into a reman. longblock unless you can do the necessary work.

I was going to drop the heads

I was going to drop the heads off at the machine shop to check psi and warping.the gaskets that were used 3 yr's ago were FELPRO I have heard some bad reports about them not holding up.This time I bought sierra.

"[b]"the gaskets that were

""the gaskets that were used 3 yr's ago were FELPRO I have heard some bad reports about them not holding up.This time I bought sierra."

Ayuh,... IMHOpinion,... You're going Backwards...
Fel-Pro gaskets are about the Best out there...."

Incase you are not aware head

Incase you are not aware head gaskets around the cylinders are not round. They do have a slight out of round shape.

"[b][i]was running too hot 180

"was running too hot 180-190 after warm-up of 160 slow increase

that's not critically hot imo, gauges aren't that accurate
but you should change the impeller in the drive, not the w/p on the engine...

thought it was a water pocket

a what?

140/135/120/120 sounds ok to me - certainly no evidence of failed head gasket with those numbers.
I'd just set the valves

I don't think it necessarily needed to come apart.

maybe

maybe the block deck is warped if head gaskets did have a repeat failure

"

The head gaskets that were rem

The head gaskets that were removed were 1/4" out of round with water marks on the heads underneath the gaskets.Second responce...the readings were #1-#3-#5 135-120-120 and #2- #4 -#6 cyl 140psi down to 80-70 within 10 seconds with a compression tester.In other words cyl.2-4-6- loss pressure after 10 seconds.Which is one result caused by a BLOWN HEAD GASKET.I have pics but I keep getting an error of too large of a file.

"You can use MSPAINT to resize

"You can use MSPAINT to resize the pictures, or Picasa I think, which is free from google.com plus others from download.com (safe)"

Got the heads back fron the ma

Got the heads back fron the machine shop.they are warped and a slight crack.machine shops advice is buy new heads.My question now is do I have to have the same casting number heads to match up with the block? or is it that both heads have to match and the block doesn't matter as long as the manifold fits

"check the block too.

I wou

"check the block too.

I would look for the same casting numbers. Full size pickup , full size van or Astro van same year as your boat should have the same heads.

there are some rebuilders on the web that could confirm for you by casting #."

What year is the boat motor???

What year is the boat motor???

Do some reaserch for remanufactured 4.3 ltr heads from a local shop.

I believe that the early 4.3 was uncounterbalanced and the newer 4.3 vortec is counter balanced.

Thus if you have a newer 4.3 vortec block then ANY head of that vintage will work.

There is NO specific difference between Auto vs Marine other than misc plugs and fittings that can be transfered from your heads.

Guy is more of a 4.3 "guru"

Maybe he will chime in with some specifics...

Again buy local if possible.

The engine is a 4.3 1995 v6 ca

The engine is a 4.3 1995 v6 casting numbers #10238181 12 bolt manifold the plastic valve covers say vortec but I think it is a pre vortec.I have heard the chevy c-10 truck has the same parts.don't know for sure.Hopefully Guy will help...

1995 is a vortec in my opinion

1995 is a vortec in my opinion......

If it say that then I would believe it.

Jim

Look at the heads

Th

Jim

Look at the heads

There should be some casting numbers on them

Please post the numbers....All or any of them

"[b]4.3 1995 v6 casting number

"4.3 1995 v6 casting numbers #10238181 12 bolt
8:35am, Jim did note the casting numbers, they are Pre-Vortec, Vortec Heads have 8 Bolts on the intake and Flow 10% more."

"Jim

It says you live on th

"Jim

It says you live on the Cape, There are many marina's where you should look for a set of rebiult heads or ask where you may find some.

Brian, thanks. Not into casting numbers and bolt quantity or much else with the V6's...........LOL

Worked on many but not major engine service......"

"Been looking for website with

"Been looking for website with rebuilt heads and they all are asking for a

THREE (3) digit casting number.

So Jim is there and if so what is it, a 3 digit casting number???

example, #768, 996, 107, 476......"

The only other numbers are b06

The only other numbers are b065 and b145 I think they use the last 3 numbers of the GM number #10238181 so 181 would be my guess.

Kghost:

Thanks for the vote

Kghost:

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not that astute on internal engine works. I will say that since it is not a Vortec engine and the engine is more than 15 years old; replace it w/a Lblock Vortec engine.

My reasons are the heads have to be replaced due to warpage and cracks which is what I thought was the problem. The block assy. has had a hard life and should be reman. by a machine shop. There are to many unknowns about the block that could tie up $$$ in labor costs and parts. Why caress a mare when when a filly is available. Go w/a Vortec longblock; you'll be very satisfied w/the improvement.

"Guy you are absolutely right.

"Guy you are absolutely right.I'am weighing those options now, but time,money,and the desire to tinker and do it the easier way come into play.

IF I COULD ONLY GET A COUPLE MORE YEARS OUT OF IT...IF I HAD THE ARMY I COULD TAKE OVER THE WORLD LOL....}"

Get a reman. Vortec block and

Get a reman. Vortec block and a set of reman. heads. Or look for a good used Vortec engine that was removed for a repower. They can cost around $500. Watch eBay for marinas selling them. Usually they garauntee them from what I remember.

"Jim

There is a marine rema

"Jim

There is a marine remanufacturer distributor near milford mass, Holliston mass. I have used then before. The motors are remanufactured in Rhode Island and I believe they do it for most all resellers locally.

Here is the link.

A complete long block. Been there done that and it is the easiest way to deal with this.

http://www.1800runsnew.com/NLM/remanufactured-NLM.html"

"One thing is, do you have a e

"One thing is, do you have a electric fuel pump?

If not then you will if you upgrade to a newer/vortec as they do not have mechanical fuel pump.

Also if you buy a vortec you will need a new intake manifold and maybe other parts.....

I do not know all the differences.

Get your engine part number (merc number) and write it down if you call them and they will get you what you need."

yes electric fuel pump.I looke

yes electric fuel pump.I looked at this sight already $1900 plus. There is also Doug Russels in worcester with I think free delivery in mass. they are all about $1800-2200.longblocks.There is a place in RI.centerstateengines.com which is close.If I go that way I'm looking to pick up or free delivery it cuts out the 295.00 shipping cost's

That web site I posted also se

That web site I posted also sells remanufactured heads for your block. # 181 was a choice and they show $399.

I am not sure if it is the price for one or both heads.......

If it is $399 for each head ($800 for both) it would be much better to spend the extra $1200 for a fresh motor complete long block.

If you got a pick up or access to one you can just go and pick it up yourself.

I just got lucky on e-bay. A c

I just got lucky on e-bay. A company in Clearwater fla. has a special on reman chevy heads 125.00 ea. with 25.00 shipping ea.the e-bay auction number is 370227232943.same casting number as mine #10238181.if brian beckett is out there can you take a look for me?

Back