Logo

Mercruiser pre alpha lower shift cable

mre641999

"My stern drive will not go in

"My stern drive will not go into reverse. I disconnected the cable on the engine and tried to adjust it according to the book. The cable is not binding, and by pushing it in it goes into forward fine. When I pull the cable out, it will not go into reverse. Any ideas"

"Pull the drive and check it m

"Pull the drive and check it manually.Sometimes some mud gets packed in the slide and it wont allow enough travel inward for reverse.plastic roller on the shift arm broken, shift spool on lower unit worn."

Thanks for the info. I will d

Thanks for the info. I will do that this weekend and see if that fixes it. I also ordered a new shift shaft bushing. Might as well change it when I have it down

Also look close at the gimbal

Also look close at the gimbal housing where the stainless steel shift link with the upside down U shape meets the bronze shift link sticking out of the lower unit. The fit between them should be rather tight. If there is too much slop you will loose reverse.

Also look to see if the bronze piece is worn or bent and look closely at the stainless steel upside down U and make sure it is straight NOT BENT.

Back