Logo

Long block etc

deltadog

hi all. new to site and i am b

hi all. new to site and i am buying a 81 3396 i will have to replace starb engine. is a long block and after market exhaust manifolds and risers a good and economical way nto go.love the mariner look and layout.will be in fresh water in ca. delta area.} all responces are very welcome. thanks

"Doug:

if both engines are

"Doug:

if both engines are 81 vintage, you may wanna consider complete packages. Swapping over all that old unknown stuff won't be a breeze and if its starts acting up, it could nickel and dime you up to the new engine price.

If you are confident they are usable, then a MARINIZED long block is a reasonable approach. The base castings are the same; the better OEMs get the four bolt mains. Even in the fresh water environment, I'd opt for the freeze plugs and the head gaskets for marine applications."

"thanks Mark.port engine start

"thanks Mark.port engine starts and runs really well,experinced skipper got us out of slip and to haul out. oil pressure 50-55 lbs, temp 160. i have been reading over forum topics from you all and have been surfing marine sites for replacement information. starb engine showed 670 hrs port 650. i have spoke with a mmarine mech and planning to have him come out and survey motors. what items should i zero on for ?s beyound the obvious"

I'd lay out your plan and

I'd lay out your plan and let him give you the pros and cons BEFORE he looks at the engine and then ask if he has any revisions AFTER the inspection.

Its a time-money tradeoff; only you can make that decision....like the old Fram commercial: pay me now...or ...later.

Back