Logo

1970 33 hp evinrude

blove

I have put in carburator kit a

I have put in carburator kit and it runs really smooth but it won't run wide open. it acts like it runs at half throttle. new fuel pump has been put on. new tuneup. what can be my problem? any suggestions will help

"You covered fuel and spark, w

"You covered fuel and spark, what about compression? Those motors would run on one cylinder pretty good. If compression is good, recheck every thing, something is not right. When you overhauled carb, did you remove all jets and blow out with compressed air? Could be high speed circut in carb."

where would i locatethe high s

where would i locatethe high speed circut in carb on a 1970 33hp evinrude. an what should the compression be on this egine ? thanks

"After it has been running at

"After it has been running at full throttle, shut it down and use your hand to compare the cylinder head temperature of the top and bottom cylinders"

"You have two carb adjustments

"You have two carb adjustments on your engine, the bottom one is the the high speed adjustment. With the engine running wide open adjust the valve for best RPM.
I would think if your compression was in the 60 to 80 pound range and equil , you should be OK."

thanks forthe info i will chec

thanks forthe info i will check this out today you have been helpful thanks will let u know

"took boat out this morning. m

"took boat out this morning. motor ran the same as it did before, but i adjusted lower high speed to where it ran best. the top adjustment had no effect closed or open. question is should the engine die if top adjustment on carb is closed totally off, or should it keep running because it had no effect on it either way. at idle if you shut the top adjustment off it will die, but not running wide open.possibly carb problem or what? thanx again for your help."

"(Carburetor Adjustments -

"(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

thanks for the help mr.Reeves

thanks for the help mr.Reeves Thats what i needed to know. I did run a compression test an the top went to 52lbs an the lower was 48lbs is that about right? Again I thank you for your time an knowledge. Bill

Compression varies with the pu

Compression varies with the pulling strength if using a manual starter. A electric starter should crank the engine over very fast.

Compression should be in the range of 100+ psi and close to even on both cylinders.

what would oil mixture be on 1

what would oil mixture be on 1970 33hp evinrude. have been using 2 oz. per gallon also what is spark plug setting?

"Took boat out and bottom cyli

"Took boat out and bottom cylinder is still not firing right. It will hit and miss til plug is fouled. It has new coils, points are good. compression is good ,close to same on both cylinders. Could wiring to ignition switch cause it to foul? I did the wiring myself and wondered if i did something wrong or if that could even cause it? It also has new armiture plate put on.Still miss firing. Thanx for the info."

Back