Logo

1981 75 hp johnson

doctor692000

Motor wasn't pumping water

Motor wasn't pumping water so I changed the impeller and gaskets. Still won't pump water. If I hook up the water muffs water comes out the top pee hole. Any Ideas what I need to do?

Puzzled by you using muffs. Th

Puzzled by you using muffs. The water intake is the strainer under the cavitation plate. I dont understand what you are connecting the muffs too.

However I suspect you are merely filling the leg with water from the muffs and you are seeing water coming from the exhaust relief on the back of the leg. Right or wrong ?

It should have a telltale though with the outlet located in the rear starboard corner of the lower cover.

Suggest you run it in a barrel rather than on muffs.

Check for flow from the telltale.

Check for over heating. You should be just able to touch the power head but not maintain contact. A splash of water should not sizzle and boil.

It is possible to get a good flow from the telltale but still overheat if the water ways in the cylinder head are blocked (or the thermostat faulty).

If still in trouble check that the water pump impeller drive key is in position and also connect a hose to the water tube to ensure you can get a good water flow through the engine (may heve to remove the thermostat temporarily).
The grommet at the top of the water tube can also cut off the flow and that can only be accessed by removing the power head.

Back