Logo

Engine swap in single engine Marinette

t_bennett

"I have a Chrysler 318 single

"I have a Chrysler 318 single engine inboard in my Marinette cruiser and I was wondering what other engines will mount in its place using the same transmission and mounting holes. I would like to update the engine to a more modern, more dependable engine if possible. Can a fuel injected engine be installed? I am looking at doing a custom restoration on this boat. Thanks"

"Your easiest, cheapest update

"Your easiest, cheapest update would be a 360. The flywheel and a few other parts (pan, damper) are different, but externally they are similar. And if you want to fly, the 360 can be built to well over 400 cubes with aftermarket hot rod parts. A sensible marine build would make well over 350 hp.

EFI requires a return line, a bunch of new wiring, and host of other problems. Sure, you could toss in a modern Chevy V-8, but then everything would be different (mounts, bell housing, and a zillion other things).

Jeff (32 Marinette owner)"

"Thanks Jeff, I am not too con

"Thanks Jeff, I am not too concerned with more power than I am dependability and some what simple. If it be best to keep it a 318 thats ok, I just want something obvious and "dependable". The motor or I should say block was changed out a little over 2 years ago and it appears the flywheel housing and starter were original. Them two items do not work together on this motor and before I spend or throw away any more money to a boat machanic that will change anything on there for a big fee Knowing it wont work once he gets done with it I will pull the motor out and replace it. Thats why I was wondering what all motors would fall right in. When I get done with this project I want to get in, turn the key, and go. I have absolutley no enjoyment working on a boat and scratching my head trying to figure it out when I want to go out to the lake. Thanks again. I will look into the 360 engine or a new 318."

Back