Logo

Tank not ventinghow to

cs01ba

"Hey Guys, just got a new tank

"Hey Guys, just got a new tank & hose for 40hp Johnson. Tank is one of those red duratank essence deals but I'm pretty sure its not vented and is causing motor to cut out a high speeds. I tried fitting on a vented cap but doenst fit quite right as fuel leaks. Anyone have any good ideas on how to McGyver a vent that wont allow water in?"

Well start by confirming that

Well start by confirming that your problem is due to non venting of the tank. Try running with the cap off! (or with your leaky one )

If it is the case then perhaps if you contact Duratank they can supply a vented cap that fits or a separate vent fitting.

ive got an 40hp evinrude 1986

ive got an 40hp evinrude 1986 ihave a metal fuel tank original one and it does not have a vent either but i dont have any problems with the motor running.best thing to do is open the cap slightly to let it vent

[i]"ive got an 40hp evinru

"ive got an 40hp evinrude 1986 ihave a metal fuel tank original one and it does not have a vent either "

But it should have an automatic vent built into the fuel pick up fitting.

There are some different versi

There are some different versions of tank vents.
The Dura tanks used to have a yellow plastic tab that when pushed in by the connector worked as both fuel valve and vent.
However I have come across some un-original connectors that did not push the tab in correctly!!

"Two types of Duratank I now f

"Two types of Duratank I now find

BRP part number # 175981 which features Quick disconnect fuel fitting - Auto one-way venting - Built in fuel gauge.

Part Number # 177001 Without the quick disconnect, automatic venting and fuel gauge.

Not clear how the latter type is vented though! Vented cap ??"

I think to remember a venting

I think to remember a venting 'valve' in the fuel gauge module. Same as the quick connect.

"i'm pretty sure venting i

"i'm pretty sure venting is my problem. I ran fine with the cap loose, where b4 the power would cut right back then quit. With the cap loose I had no problem. Is it ok to drive with the cap loose? Is spilling the only drawback?"

"Spilling is the draw back and

"Spilling is the draw back and spilt gasoline is dangerously flammable. A little spark and whoosh no boat, no motor, no Chris Skinner

You need to sort out the built in vent if it has one. It should do if the tank is the one with detachable fuel line and fuel gauge. If not then get the proper vented cap for the tank."

Back