Logo

1996 Alpha stern drive leaking trim cylinders

outbdnut

"I've got a 1996 Alpha dri

"I've got a 1996 Alpha drive with the 4.3 V6. The power trim hydraulic oil is getting a lot of water in it. The hydraulic pressures make the oil and water combine to a milky color. I bought a Sierra seal rebuild kit that has a bunch of seals in it. Is there one seal that usually is the culpret here? I would think that the shaft seals would be the only ones that can let water in. I would prefer to not disassemble the entire cylinder if they only need one seal. Any tips on replacing the seals?... tips on replacing (bleeding out) all the waterlogged oil? Tips on getting air out of the system when done? I do have factory shop manuals, but they show tearing apart everything.
Thx,
Dave"

""I do have factory shop m

""I do have factory shop manuals, but they show tearing apart everything."

I would reseal both. You can determine which one has failed by cleaning both cylinder ends w/brake cleaner and then run them up and down several times and looking for the oily seal(s).

First, buy 4-5 qts. of non-branded Dextron ATF. Remove the old oil w/a turkey baster or engine oil removal pump. Refill the tank w/fresh ATF and start the up/down; you'll see ATF leakage. Change the ATF again and remove the starboard hyd. line. Run the pump (from down)in the UP mode; reattach line. Remove port hyd. line. Drive must be supported; run in the down mode; remove support as you begin down mode.

Change ATF fluid again. Rebuild defective cylinder or both. Install cylinders and run up/down several times to remove air. Remove fluid from tank and fill pump reservior w/fresh ATF and run up/down several times. Change fluid again. Use the ATF."

"Guy,
Thanks for the info. O

"Guy,
Thanks for the info. One question though regarding the use of ATF. The manual says to use 10W30 motor oil, and motor oil is what came in it. Will ATF have a slightly different swelling effect on the seals?
Dave"

Don't know; just to be saf

Don't know; just to be safe stick w/10W30 motor oil. Make sure there isn't a problem w/the hyraulic distibution block under the OD where the hoses meet. Spray it clean w/brake clean. You just might have a loose hose.

"Be sure to carefully inspect

"Be sure to carefully inspect the shafts for any scratches/scuffing especially where the seals rest at full extension. If there are any imperfections, make sure to get the shafts fixed before ruining new seals."

"been using ATF for 15 years i

"been using ATF for 15 years in mine, no problem. BTW, only seals Ive ever had to change are shaft seals and bushes. they seem to corrode and crush orings onto shaft causing seizing."

Back