Logo

Sparkless b87 Evinrude 35hp

alaskaflyer

"Used up the last spark on my

"Used up the last spark on my 35 and have been troubleshooting the system. I have most of the diagnostic equipment except an M-80 tester so have substituted my fluke and a DVA adapter. The bottom line is I'm only getting 3.7 volts from the powerpack output on either wire. I think I did the previous tests correctly although I have a question on the trigger input. I'm assuming that's the same as the sensor coil and I got 7.6 volts on that test. Any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing I need a new power pack, but don't want to buy one unnecessarily or ruin one accidentally... Thanks"

"before a power pack i would t

"before a power pack i would try to rule out all
other possible causes of spark failure,and recheck my tests.here are a few to reconsider:
the main engine grounds /coil grounds,condition of wires/connectors trigger wiring,stator,kill switch/its wiring,kill sw grounded,sheared keyway,broken/weak magnet(s).,cdi wiring/corrosion at connectors/or in wiring itself,shifter adjustment/safety neutral sw,
loose positive wire to ignition,corroded heads,and im sure i forgot a few.not bad idea to buy a service manual ."

"Thanks for the replies guys,

"Thanks for the replies guys, Sorry for the slow response, but I'll definitely try your suggestions. I was hoping to work on them this weekend, but the motor went to the back burner..."

"Had a chance to work on this

"Had a chance to work on this for an hour this evening. I have the 5 pin connector between power pack and the flywheel. My manual starts with the kill switch test by jumpering across A,B,C,D and leaving pin E unjumpered. So it seems to me that that test eliminates the kill switch. I rechecked for the 3rd or 4th time all the other tests, coil & sensor resistance and grouds, etc. When it gets to the coil output and trigger coil tests, my book says to use an m-80 or S-80 tester. It seems to have a load switch of some kind. Anyway, I get a great test with my neon tester although I'm not using any load... When I do the trigger test (no load of course)I don't get a spark either. So I don't know how important the S-80/M-80 tester with the load button really is? Anybody know? Thanks for all your comments."

Back