Logo

290DPA Steering forkyoke stuck

gtkash

I have a lot of play in my 290

I have a lot of play in my 290 dp-a outdirve (one inch side to side-- causes considerable vibration until I hit 3000 rpm).
The helmet pin is loose and the bearing surface on the bottom is 1/3 broken away. But by biggest problem (I think) is getting the shaft of the steeting fork unstuck. I used penetrating oil and then pounded wood wedges in from under. No movement down. Can I pull the sender from the top? Pry it off? Then pound downward?

Also how important is the play in the helmet "pin" (held in place with the two allen bolts??) Seems that side to side play in the fork is the biggest issue and it needs new bushings?

Please help. This outdrive work is all new to me and I cant pay the outragious shop costs now. Thanks in advance.

"The play in the helmet/pin wi

"The play in the helmet/pin will appear to be a lessor problem once you get the new collar steering fork bushings replaced.

The "spindle" arm has no doubt rusted some. This will cause it to bond onto the aluminum fork shank splines.
I have had good luck with taking a small steel chisel and driving it into the split at the pinch area (pinch bolt loose, of course).
Some heat is also your friend on this.

The wooden wedges can be placed on the outside of the transom shied to apply a downward force on the fork. This would be between the transom shield and the top of the fork at each side.
These can be a real bugger to get loose at times. Hang in there.

While the fork is removed, clean the grease ports out. Force some new grease in before reinstalling to make sure the ports are open!

Don't forget to replace the V ring seal as well!

."

"Thank you. Thank you. I got i

"Thank you. Thank you. I got it off changed the bushings and seal, put it all back together but am off 15 degrees, give or take, on the steering and will have to pull it apart again. I guess I need to check the fork when I put it in to make sure it is centered in relation to the power steering."

"Yes, the steering stops are p

"Yes, the steering stops are part of the spindle arm, so correct indexing is important as to allow the drive to turn equally."

Back