Logo

b97 115hp trouble starting and running a warm kind of motor

madhammer

"Hello,

I own a 1997 Evinru

"Hello,

I own a 1997 Evinrude 115 hp Intruder. The motor is new to me as I purchased it as a rebuild from a local shop.

I have posted before with concerns over the VRO, which they have now replaced.

In general I am happy with the motor, but have one nagging problem. It starts fine at the ramp. It runs great on plane. But after stopping to fish for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, I have a tough time getting her to stay running.

If I motor somewhere, stop for 5 minutes or so, I just turn the key and go just fine. But if I am stopped 15 minutes or more, I often have to try 6 or 8 times. She starts, then gurgles and dies or it dies when I put it into gear. I'm not sure if I should be using the fast idle lever at all or the primer (pushing the key in while I turn it). In the end, I usually try using one or both. After all these tries, it will finally start in a way that I can tell from the sound of the motor that she is ready to go. As you can tell, I'm not mechanic, but it almost sounds like it is choking on too much fuel.

After the new VRO was installed, I premixed for the first 12 gallsons and this became more of a problem. I have started running straight gas and the problem has not improved.

Any ideas? The motor runs good otherwise - fairly smooth at low RPM and is just awesome when up on plane.

Thanks!"

"You should always use the fas

"You should always use the fast idle lever when starting the engine. Crank first then apply the primer.

If you raise the engine when fishing, fuel can flow out the main horn in each carb, and might cause a flooding condition when starting.

I always check the head gaskets when this happens. If they are leaking a bit water can get into the cylinders after running and cause hard starting."

"Tony,

Thanks for the respo

"Tony,

Thanks for the response. When bass fishing in shallow, I nearly always raise the motor so the prop is nearly out of water.

ON starting, are you saying I should use the fast idle lever, turn the key and they apply the primer every time, or only if it does not start immediately?

On the head gaskets, I assume they used new ones for the rebuild, but this may require some looking into.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Paul"

"that engine,has 'quick-st

"that engine,has 'quick-start' no need to advance throttle,if in fact,QS is working properly...try feathering the choke,push in and release rapidly,till running ok,..very,.very normal..also,ur idle spd,may be too slow.."

"Thanks for the response. The

"Thanks for the response. The shop told me to push the choke if running rough, but only once. Not rapidly. I will try your advice.

So, turn the key, if the motor is sounding rough, push in and release the choke/primer until running better. Thanks.

I forgot to mention two other things. When I start at the landing, she kicks off right away. During the warmup period, I bring down the fast idle lever a bit every 30 seconds or so until it is down all the way. During this process, the motor revs kind of funny (i.e. it RPMs jump up and down a bit). Not sure if this is an issue.

Second, the shop that rebuilt the motor did not install the exact spark plug specified in the owners manual. I don't have it with me right now, but they installed a plug in the same Champion series (Y). I went and bought the specified plugs, but have not installed them. Could this have anything to do with my issue?

Thanks!"

"Generally when you start an o

"Generally when you start an outboard, especially from cold, it runs very rich at first. As it leans out you should notice the engine smooth out and the rpms will tend to rise.

To my knowledge "Quick Start" advances the timing for easy starting. It does not open the throttle plates. I feel that it is necessary to open the throttle plates in order to let in enough atmosphere so that the enriched fuel supply has enough O2 for combustion."

"negative:

With quickstart,

"negative:

With quickstart, you just turn the key, and push it in for a cold engine. You should never have to crack the throttle to start a quickstart equipped engine. If you do, something is wrong.

A warm engine will fast idle for about 5 seconds before coming down. A cold engine will fast idle for a minute or two. It's best to avoid shifting into gear until it checks down to low idle."

These engines are timed at 4-6

These engines are timed at 4-6 degrees after TDC.

Quick Start should advance the timing about ten degrees. No matter how much you raise the fast idle lever it will not advance the timing that far. This is why Quick Start was developed.

Nowhere in the factory manual does it say that you should not use the fast idle lever when starting. This is what it says:

"Raise the lever high enough to ensure sufficient engine speed upon start-up but not so high that the engine overspeeds."

Back