Logo

Electric fuel pump capacity

arthur3

"Me again,I am not sure ,but i

"Me again,I am not sure ,but i don't think Petronix makes a conversion for the flat cap design,but i could be wrong. If not the Mallory E-Spark is a very nice unit."

so the boat ran well for 30 ye

so the boat ran well for 30 years with points and now you want to go electronic. Really want to do it right put a hei unit in one wire in one wire out coil and everything in one unit.

Me i would leave it alone after getting the right points and rotor. 12 bucks on ebay.

"[i]i don't think Petronix

"i don't think Petronix makes a conversion for the flat cap design

In the parts book, The OMC230 did NOT have a flat cap. He's got some monkey'd up parts on there. Which is why nothing is fitting properly.

so the boat ran well for 30 years and now you want to go electronic

no, it wouldn't run at all due to burnt up points and he has spent much of a year messing with it.
In my book, that's reason enough to go electronic."

anyone else confused by the St

anyone else confused by the Starter motor in that picture?
beside the distributor?
bizarre.

Is this boat a stern drive? or is it inboard?

"Chiefalen,

Right now I wou

"Chiefalen,

Right now I would be happy to use points/rotor. It appears that the part number for the tune up kit in all references that I can find is for a tall cap (until now). Looking up the mallory part number #319 for the rotor has got me where I need to be. For the most part, I think that the E-spark unit will work well for me. I don't understand the purpose of the shift box wire modification as explained in the instructions.

I don't believe that I have that setup because I have an Inboard (B/W)drive. Can someone explain how to tell?"

"Hy Stat,

I don't belie

"Hy Stat,

I don't believe anything else would work in the case of this setup. The space between the engine hatch and the distributor is so close that I don't believe the tall distributor would work physically.
The boat is a 1979 Penn Yan tunnel drive. I am not sure about the year of the engine, but just assumed that the engine was the same year."

[i]I don't understand the

I don't understand the purpose of the shift box wire modification as explained in the instructions.

I don't believe that I have that setup because I have an Inboard (B/W)drive. Can someone explain how to tell?

The wire mods don't apply to inboard. In fact they don't apply to 1979 sterndrives either. Only 1982-1985.

"Hey Michael,Look and see if t

"Hey Michael,Look and see if there is a tag on that dist. with a model #. That is probably a factory installed unit. Mallory was used quite a bit years ago in alot of other applications. The flat cap was used primarily for clearances. If you will look at the Electronic ign. conversion post there is some other options on there that i stated that will work for you also because you have the same type dist. The #559 UNILITE conversion will work also, I've used that several times with great results"

"[url=""]http://stores.shop.eb

"http://stores.shop.ebay.com/KMJ-PERFORMANCE__W0QQ_nkwZheiQ20distributorQQ_armrsZ 1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZQQ_sasiZ1

ok so here goes, friend got a free boat when he purchased the trailer under it. was submerged in saltwater.

New motor everything is good except the coil kept going. 3 coils latter, he wants a hei unit, so after a long search he buys one from the guys in the link i posted.

no more problems, boat never ran better.

Give them a call let them hook you up, under 100 bucks delivered.

Now understand this i am not recommending you to install any non marine rated hei unit.

But my buddy did. took all of 5 minutes one wire in one wire out."

"Harry,
Will get that number

"Harry,
Will get that number when I get home and post here. Summit Racing has the #559 kit. I may go that route.

Chiefalen,
I will contact these guys and see what they have for a marine application. Will see what comes from that.

Thanks guys for all the great advice. All seems to have it's merit."

"300 dollars or more for marin

"300 dollars or more for marine units, vs 89 delivered for a auto one. Not that i would recommend someone to install a non- marine unit. my friend did it no problems till this day."

"Michael, the new E-Spark by M

"Michael, the new E-Spark by Mallory is also a nice conversion. Same as the Unilite just 1/2 the price. #61005M is the kit that you would use and it runs 50-60 bucks. Both units require a inline ballast resistor #MAL-700 so as not to spike the module and damage it."

Back