Logo

Freindbs 150 wont start

he has a 150 johnson it quite

he has a 150 johnson it quite on the water after idling for about 15 minutes the when we went to engage it into gear it quite and now it will not restart.
he is very nervous I told this was the place to get a second opinion any advice for him

"What year is that 150hp?

S

"What year is that 150hp?

Start with the basic trouble shooting procedure.

Remove spark plugs, take a compression check. What are the compression readings..... by cylinder number if differed greatly?

With plugs still removed, check the spark on all cylinders. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP!

If the two areas above are as they should be, check the fuel to see if it might be contaminated with water.

Let us know what you find."

it was the stater the poor guy

it was the stater the poor guy is a nervous a a mouse in a room full of cats but repairs are happing now thnx

You didn't say that the en

You didn't say that the engine wouldn't crank over. I assumed that it did crank over but wouldn't start.

That line originated from Tennessee Ernie Ford and went: "Nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs". First time I heard about the mouse...... good one.

lol ;)
ya it cranked over

lol ;)
ya it cranked over but the spark was week he wanted like 30 different opions before any work was done on it lol

I have a unrelated Question

I have a unrelated Question
I am thinking about picking up a 150 1990 xp rude
the guy says it was a bad head gasket is he covering for a passable internal problem or ?? is it likely

"Anything can be likely or unl

"Anything can be likely or unlikely. While you're there, ask him to remove the head so that you can be sure. What does he say the engine is doing or not doing?

Think about it..... why would he want to sell the engine if it simply had a bad head gasket?"

thems were my thoughts as well

thems were my thoughts as well but either way considering where I work if the price is right its a good motor I believe
whats your opinion on that motor

"A good design, BUT as with an

"A good design, BUT as with anything mechanical, things can go wrong.

The design itself, if maintained properly, should last for many years trouble free. Maintained is the keyword."

Back