Logo

Johnson 1997 130 hp no start

muzzytt

"Hi all

I am out of ideas w

"Hi all

I am out of ideas with my johnson 130hp its vro equipped 1997 model with 500hrs on it.

I have not used boat for six months , I started it about 3 weeks ago all be it very hard .

so i try to start it today with no luck . It cranks good battery fully charged

I can hear the click on the choke.

I checked for spark by using a old plug against block could not see any spark at cranking speed.

I cant check kill switch as I dont seem to have one.

any ideas ? Just about had it with boats allways something goes wrong !

cheers

Muz"

"update

i have 120 psi eve

"update

i have 120 psi even accross all cylinders

plenty of fresh fuel

no spark
"

"First thing, check your emerg

"First thing, check your emergency lanyard for correct placement.

Second thing, eliminate a boat wiring harness problem.
Locate the boat harness to engine harness connectors. They are the Deutsch style plugs on a 1997, and are rectangular. The plug in question is the six conductor, with multiple colored wires in it. Black, purple, yellow/red, grey, black/yellow....that is the plug you want.
(The other one that has six wires are mostly all tan and tan/striped wires.)

Anyway, disconnect the multi-colored wire harness plug, and then jump the starter solenoid at the engine to turn it over. If you have spark, the problem is in the boat harness and/or most likely the ignition switch or emergency stop lanyard switch up on the controls. If still no spark, the problem is in the power pack, stator, or timer base....
The key wire here is the black/yellow stripe. It is connected to batt neg. by design with the key OFF, but if there is a fault where it is shorted to batt neg somewhere else....then no start.

If it starts, don't panic...just calmly re-plug that connector, and it will shut down."

"thx for the informative post,

"thx for the informative post, i have only seen a connector coming from control box ill search for the other one it must be there somewhere. Ill report back soon as i find it. Cheers"

"Back at the engine...under th

"Back at the engine...under the cowling. Port side, behind a plastic panel. All the harness wires go there for hookup. I described a 1996 V6 but the wiring should be very very close to the same for your motor. Maybe some slight differences, but that black/yellow wire is the one that kills the engine."

I did the test by disconnectin

I did the test by disconnecting the B/Y wire at engine side I seem to be getting spark to only one cylinder the rest there is no spark.

?

"Ok, there are three parts tha

"Ok, there are three parts that are involved with ignition. Powerpack, stator, and timer base.
There are specific resistance and voltage tests that you can do to the stator and timer base.
Plus, you need a special adapter called DVA for your meter in order to effectively measure the peak voltages developed by the stator and pack. The tests are outlined in the manual, and are too extensive to re-type here. Your best bet is a manual at this time.
There is really no test for the powerpack.

Get an OMC genuine service manual and go thru the resistance and voltage tests, or maybe simpler...just guess and change the pack at this time. But that is an expensive guess.

Be sure the engine is spinning over fast enough. It needs to turn 300 rpms with the starter motor to generate spark. Weak battery may not allow the engine to turn over fast enough."

Back