Logo

1991 40hp Johnson 2 stroke

jblake7734

"Will not stay running...If I

"Will not stay running...If I spray starting fluid in a plug hole it will fire right up but stop as soon as fluid burns off.....have check'd fuel line..appears ok....have looked at filter, it looks good....I am thinking it could be the fuel pump....looked at the picture in the online service manual and could not find anything on my engine that even comes close to looking like it....have traced the fuel line from the fliter, but that did not help much.....so....

1. Where is the fuel pump located......?
2. Anyone have a picture of one...on the eninge?

Any help would be appreciated...."

"dont have a picture fuel pump

"dont have a picture fuel pump on engine.sorry.starting fluid washes out viscosity in cylinder therefore losing compression in cylinders.check primer bulb,if its hard to pump it schould be replaced.check while squeezing bulb for air leaks,tighten hose clamps&replace leaking lines,make sure vent cap on tank is open,
engine will not run long unless vent is open,
fuel/oil ratio is correct,check spark,reed valve could be sticking preventing fuel from reaching cylinders,float needle&seat gummed up,the fuel pump is located on the engine,and runs directly off crankcase vaccum which relies on proper premix.at first i didnt know what it looked like either.the reciprocating movement of the piston allows fuel to be forced into the combustion chamber,and exhaust to be forced out also by piston movement. try premixing some gas/oil in a spray bottle.hold throttle wide open,spray small amount in each carb,close throttle,try to start. repeat.this may free up sticking reed valves and help the crankcase to have proper lubrication."

"DO NOT use starter fluid !! N

"DO NOT use starter fluid !! NO OIL ! Spray fuel mix into carb intakes.

Will it stay running if you keep gently pumping the bulb. If does it could be the fuel pump or it could be an air leak into the fuel line. Connector prime suspect for air leaks.

Fuel pump mounted on the side of crankcase, filter is part of it!

See http://shop2.evinrude.com/Scripts/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E%3A%5CEmpartWeb%5CDa ta%5C41%5C434241%5C21.TIF&ilSC=31&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

Pump is #1(Follow the fuel line from the connector #13)

BUT is yours a VRO model? http://shop2.evinrude.com/Scripts/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E%3A%5CEmpartWeb%5CDa ta%5C41%5C434241%5C24.TIF&ilSC=39&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

#1 again follow the fuel line from the connector #9 to the filter #5 then on to the pump"

"Thanks for all the info guys.

"Thanks for all the info guys...I never even would have thought about the starting fluid, and it not having any oil....duh!

VicS: thanks for the diagram....now I know I have the VRO model because that is what my fuel pump look like......

Last night I pump the primer buld and it I can tell it is working because it got hard....does that mean that the gas has no where to go, and that maybe the check valve in the lines is stopping it?

I noticed that all the lines have what appears to be "tie wraps" holding them instead of clamps...If I have to replace the fuel pump, should I use clamps instead of the tie wraps....."

OK...now I have another questi

OK...now I have another question: This is a 2 stroke engine...pre-mix gas....but as the Pict above that Vic posted the pump I have looks like a VRO but is not a "real" VRO because it does not oil...so then what is this pump called? And is this engine considered to have a VRO or not?

If I had to order a part what would I ask for?

"It sounds like you have a rep

"It sounds like you have a replacement fuel pump. They make these pumps to replace the VRO pump so that you can save a few bucks. It fits into the same mount as the VRO, but does not pump oil."

Tony..thanks for that info....

Tony..thanks for that info....I have no idea what it is...if you click on the link Vic left above it looks just like the VRO in that picture....I just want to get this thing running......

"Update: Check'd last nigh

"Update: Check'd last night.....when I squeeze the bulb I can see fuel going into the fuel filter...it does not fill up but I can see fuel going in.....

On top of the pump is a tag that say's "VRO2 Alcohol resistant"......but, there is no oil tank, or anyplace to add oil......any thoughts...."

"Update: (if anyone is sti

"Update: (if anyone is still reading this thread)....I took the primer bulb off, then re-installed it again......checked the quick-disconnect for the fuel line....re-tightened all the clamps....and just check'd things out in general....And then walk'd away....last night (thurs) I pumped it up and bingo the boat started....so it appears that I had sometype of air leak....

But....thanks to you guys I learned quite abit...I now know what a VRO system is, what it does, and that on my boat the oil side has been dis-connected and the fuel side is being used...I also now know that my eninge does in fact have the mounting boss for the "standard" fuel pump in case the VRO fuel side goes out.....

Thanks to all you assisted."

Back