Logo

Honda BF 200HP Four Stroke Start Problem

justin_elia

"I tried to start my engine th

"I tried to start my engine this morning and had a problem. I first turned the key and waited for the two beeps (as usual), when I tried to start it I heard it turn over like my battery was dead. Took the volt meter out to test the cranking battery and it read 12.5amps. I then turned the key back to the beginning position. I turned the key to hear the two beeps again only to hear one long beep and my gages were dancing all over the place. Tried to start it and again it turned like the battery was dead. Did it two more times with the same results and on the next time it started fine.

I would imagine something is drawing on the battery heavily before starting. Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated."

"I assume you read 12.5 volts,

"I assume you read 12.5 volts, not amps. First thought is that the battery terminals are either corroded, loose, or not connected correctly. Pull them, clean thoroughly, reconnect, and make sure battery is fully charged. These engines take a lot of cranking power - 1,000 to 1,200 amps. The long beep and dancing gauges is an indicator that your battery ground is not propery connected."

Back