Logo

Trim control will not work

sharpshooter101

I have a 1979 evinrude 85 hors

I have a 1979 evinrude 85 horse engine mod 85995. the pitch trim will not drop the engine when i put the trim to down? Any suggestions?

If your tilt trim switch on th

If your tilt trim switch on the shifter doesn't work the most likely cause is a broken or corroded wire in the wiring harness. Look at a wiring diagram for your motors to determine which wire controls the tilt down and run a jumper wire to bypass the possible bad wire. If it works replace the wire.
Good Luck

"You don't say whether the

"You don't say whether the electric motor operates in the down position or not. I will assume it does not.

The electric motor on the 1979 model PTT is a three (3) wire motor.

In addition to Warner's reply, to check the electric motor itself. Trace the electriuc motor's wiring harness back from the motor to its connector and disconnect it.

Run a jumper wire frpm the battery negative terminal to the motor's black (ground) wire. Run another jumper wire from the battery positive terminal to the Green (up) wire, then to the blue (down) wire. That will either prove the electric motor good or bad.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"What Joe Reeves said. The th

"What Joe Reeves said. The three wire system is strange. As I recall, for "down" it uses only the trim-tilt switch. For Up it uses the switch and a solenoid. A bad motor can work in one direction and not the other. Be sure to check the T&T harness connections at both ends for corrosion too."

its a 1979 if it was kept in t

its a 1979 if it was kept in the trailering position for an extended amount of time.it may have built up a ring on the hydralic ram itself.
in that case removal and rebuild are necessary.
without knowing if it has hydralic lines or not
this could be your problem.

"It would have helped if we kn

"It would have helped if we knew that the electric motor was running. However, glad the unit is working."

Back