Logo

New boater wTwin 318bs after warmup engine runs hot

frogwelder

"port engine after 10 min. war

"port engine after 10 min. warm up holding 145 degrees.
starbord holding 220.

I am in salt water for 2 years with less than 200 hours. The guy I got the boat from had not started it for 6 mo. and hasn't takin it out in over a year he said he had to change the impeller on the starboard engine last year but didn't have a proublem driving it from Freeport, Tx to Clear Lake. I have neaver had inboads and don't now how the cooling system works."

"220 is toooo much, especially

"220 is toooo much, especially in salt water.

I'd bet the exhaust elbow has been clogged for a while....with the extended idle time, it was the last straw. Check the water flow out of each exhaust pipe - bet the port has more flow.

Also, with 145 on the port, you probably have RWC - raw water cooling - no heat exchanger and the cooling water goes thru the block, too.

If you want 318 specific info, suggest you post on the CHRYSLER board."

"Mark,

I have heat exchange

"Mark,

I have heat exchangers on both, I am going to check the t-stat on the port and starboard. He told me the electric temp gages were not reading true. I shot the temp on the manifolds of each engine with a laser heat gun. What can I do about the elbow

I haven,t taken it out of the slip and will not untill i get this fixed. I haven't let the engin overheat. I'm a fair shade tree mech, but will not bite off more than I can chew."

"the HX are good, especially i

"the HX are good, especially if the manifolds are in the fresh loop.

If it is the elbow and its not too bad or too old, an acid bath will get most of the rusties out. If it is more than 7 yrs old with salt water, just replace them once you verify they are the problem (clogged with rusted chunks). Do both sides of the same engine if changing them. Expect the other engine not be close behind unless its elbows have been changed recently."

Back