Logo

Overheatingneed help with the outdrive

hippie

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1988 350 CID that is

"I have a 1988 350 CID that is still overheating. I have replaced most everything and I think the problem is barnacles and slime inside the outdrive. Does anyone have any knowledge of how to disassemble the outdrive so I can scrape the barnacles and slime out? Thank you, Bob"

"Bt, I have replaced the inpel

"Bt, I have replaced the inpeller in the outdrive, the circulating pump, put a new thermostat in, cleaned all hoses and looked at the risers which were clean.
The problem is that at idle or when in gear the engine overheats. I have to put it in neutral and take the rpms to 1500 and it will cool down to about 190* (it has a 140 therm. in). I know the water intakes with the screens are clogged but we power washed them a month ago and it still did the same thing. I had the "incoming hose" off and it was pumping a good amount of water which told me that it wasn't clogged all that much. I've only been working on this since last fall so if you can help that would be great! Thank you, Bob"

"PS- I can't take the scre

"PS- I can't take the screens off to get the inside with a coat hanger. My screens do not have the bolt at the bottm. Thanks again, Bob"

"i ran into the same problem i

"i ran into the same problem it seems the risers&manifolds were clogged.bought new risers,had the manifolds cleaned proffessionally,changed waterpump,had engine deposits flushed,and reset timing.
then she didnt overheat.oh yeah,guage was bad too..!"

"Try taking the therm out and

"Try taking the therm out and test run. no therm should run cold ,100deg. Therm housing clogged?
You tested the impeller "no-load" , when you put your hand over the hose is there some pressure? Water pocker cover may be leaking, copper tube may be a bit short to seal properly.remove the drive and test with a hose in the water inlet on the housing. would isolate the problem.Or this
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/BtDoctur/gasket2520backwards2520small.jpg""

"justaspark, I looked at the r

"justaspark, I looked at the risers and they did not appear to be clogged or anything like that. Bt, The therm. housing is not clogged. When I put the new therm. in it was clean and I did put the therm. in the correct way. When I pulled the intake hose off (the hose through the transom)and cranked the motor over it pushed alot of water out and no dirt or slime. I don't think the exhaust manifolds are clogged because when I put the new circulating pump on I got a deeper sound to the exhaust and you could see it was pushing more water out the prop hub. The old circulating pump was broken behind the impeller blades so it wasn't pushing any water."

"Bob:

"I don't thin

"Bob:

"I don't think the exhaust manifolds are clogged..."

Your boat is in salt water. You should consider having the exhaust manifolds, risers and elbows cleaned at a radiator shop or acid dip them for 3 hours yourself. Use muriatic acid; DANGER...causes severe burns. You'll need a plastic dip tank, rubber rain suit, boots, gloves and a face shield. One drop will burn the hell out of you!"

Back