Logo

43gl hunting

davesboat

"Hi guys
I have a new 4.3gl f

"Hi guys
I have a new 4.3gl fitted in my boat (12 hours) I ordered a fuel flow meter, which finally turned up after over 2 months of waiting.
I fitted it last evening, The boat has not been started for 2 weeks.
When I started up her up she started up fine first turn of the key, but seemed to be unsteady on the tick over.
My normal starting procedure is pump the throttle once or twice, set to fast tickover,once it has fired up reduce revs to around 1100 revs for around a minute then back off to tickover.
but what I have noticed since I fitted this fuel flow meter is that while I am running the engine at fast tickover it does not seem to have a steady tickover, the revs die back to around 800 then back up to around 1100, then back again.
Once fully warmed up I can rev her to (for instance) 3000 and she holds steady, if I back off to around 1100 or 1200 she starts to hunt, dropping to aroun 800 or so then back to 1200.
I cut the transducer in for this meter into my flexi fuel line just before the engine fuel filter, its a standard 3/8 marine grade fuel line, I do not think its an air leak as the transducer was a very tight fit in the fuel line,
Any ideas?
thanks
dave"

Back