Logo

What is this engine

pundit

"Hi,

I am from Australia an

"Hi,

I am from Australia and have just bought a Haines Hunter C1900 with an i/o Merc 470 with the serial no. 5786369.

I can't determine how many h/p is this engine.

I have looked high and low but no luck.

Also, I wish to replace this...what motor and leg would just drop in?

Any good suppliers?"

"It's a 4 cyl. w/170 hp.

"It's a 4 cyl. w/170 hp. No equivalent engine package will just drop in its place. Another 4 cylinder 135 hp. will fit. You will want to make sure the boat transom, floor and stringers are not rotted before spending another dime.

Your cheapest route to go would be to have the engine rebuilt w/an external alternator and 4" heat exchanger and the OD serviced. The 470 engine is a real strong power plant for its size.

The other route to take would be to install a 4.3L EFI V-6 220 hp engine and a new SEI OD. Some modifications to the engine mounts would have to be made. The engine cost in U.S. dollars would be about $5,800 and the OD cost is $1,200."

"If your motor has a 4 bbl car

"If your motor has a 4 bbl carb it is 190 hp, if it has a 2 bbl carb then it is 160-170hp."

"thanks Guy for the info.

a

"thanks Guy for the info.

and KGhost, will find out whether it is 2bbl or 4

regards
anyway
aziz"

"Abdul
Australia has a free t

"Abdul
Australia has a free trade agreement with the US, which makes small purchases from the US a breeze. If importing from US, you have a $1000 AUD limit (inc shipping), before duty and sales tax kick in. If you go one cent over $1000 AUD, Aust sales taxes will apply to the full amount. try to keep your purchases from US to below $1000 AUD, or split your purchases, if extra costs of shipping are OK.
I think this is modeled this way to suit the hobbiest rather than commercial business. I make plenty of small purchases from US dealers using the US Postal Service with no problems so far, usually save up to 50%. Its more trouble than walking into your local dealer, But if you are organised and can wait 2 weeks for your parts to arrive, you can save a bunch of money.
As for a new power plant for the 19 haines, Id stick with what youve got. all other alternatives are V6 or V8, which would use up too much beam in that boat. The 470 is a good unit for a boat that small. BTW, the 470 is a ford V8 with half the cylinders cut off. The weakest link in that donk is the Stator, Get external alternator as Guy suggested.
There are kits out of melbourne for marinised commodore V6s', dont know anyone whos done it and would be a lot of work. Still be a bit to wide for that boat. TM."

"Not that things couldn't

"Not that things couldn't have been swapped out over the years but generally as the label reads, 470 = ~170 hp w/ 2 bbl and 488 = ~180-190 w/ 4 bbl. Only the head is from Ford the block is an aluminum block Mercruiser bastardized creation.

If you're dropping in a whole new engine and leg you could do anything you want as long as it matches up. 4.3L V-6 will have more parts available and should bolt up to your leg no problem as long as you have room for a wider engine."

Back