Logo

Won%60t stay running

tobyc207

"I have a 1969 evinrude 40hp e

"I have a 1969 evinrude 40hp electric start,it wont stay running,it will run for a minute,an then stop what am I missing"

"Has the engine been sitting f

"Has the engine been sitting for a while? Start with the basics, compression, spark, fuel flow."

pull plug spin engine hold thu

pull plug spin engine hold thumb over spark plug hole if it forces thumb off hole compression basicly ok without tester

"Compression gauges are fairly

"Compression gauges are fairly cheap, available at any automotive type store, Wal*Mart, K-Mart, many stores. Get one.

How to use.....

Remove all spark plugs.

Attach a small jumper OR a regular auxillary push button switch between the starter solenoid positive battery cable terminal and the small 3/8" nut that energizes the solenoid.

Push gauge rubber seal end into cylinder plug hole.

Engage starter solenoid to crank the engine over five (5) revolutions.

Observe gauge reading and jot down the reading and cylinder number for comparison to other cylinders.

Note: The same starter solenoid setup (spark plugs removed) is to be used when checking spark. That engine should have spark that will jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP!

If the above two areas are okay, the usual cause of you problem is a fouled or misadjusted carburetor. If fouled, remove, clean, rebuilt it.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back