Logo

HELP AQ130C Bell Housing

mmallouk

I'm trying to remove a bel

I'm trying to remove a bell housing from an old AQ130C and can't get it to move more than 1/2" on either side. Any ideas out there?

"Sounds like the primary shaft

"Sounds like the primary shaft splines are rusted on to the vibration damper. Try dripping some penetrating oil on the shaft and see if you can get it worked back to the splines. keep working it back and forth. Worst case, you may need to remove the bearings and seals - then leave the shaft in place while you pull the flywheel cover."

"Joe's got the right idea

"Joe's got the right idea if you could some how reach way in and remove the small snap ring from the shaft. If so, you may be able to tap the shaft forward and out of the bearing and out of the flywheel cover.
Now you can play with some heat on the shaft and drive coupler along with some shocking it to loosen the rust/corrosion.

."

"I'm curious what kind of

"I'm curious what kind of luck you had with removing the snap rings. I am having the same problem with the primary drive shaft stuck in the vibration damper, and after 3 days of beating and prying on the fly wheel cover, she just isn't budging. I'd like to hear opinions on which method to try next, removing the snap rings, or drilling a hole in the fly wheel cover to remove the vibration damper bolts? -Barry"

"Barry, the larger snap rings

"Barry, the larger snap rings are not the issue.... those are easy to get at with a modified long needle nose pliers.
What he needs to remove is the small "compression" type snap ring, of which is near impossible to get at.
Best to take a long chisel type tool and break it in half..... You'll be replacing this anyway.
Now the Flywheel Cover housing (and bearing) will slide off of the shaft (with a little persuasion, that is).

Now you will have access to the rusty Borg Warner splines of the PDS and Drive Coupler inner hub.

Your idea of boring a strategically placed access hole for removing the "drive coupler" bolts may just work!

."

Back