Logo

Stalls when I try to put engine in gear

skipper_who

Contributing Member
"I have a 73 evinrude 3 cy. Th

"I have a 73 evinrude 3 cy. This engine stalls every time I put it in gear.I have try all the ideas that I read in other post no luck ,
I cleaned carbs 3 times compression cy 1 115 cyl 2 105 cy3 115.Cyl.2 was redone by previous owner. I have to use choke to start have throttle half up.Slow it down to a little faster then idle.
When I put my hand over Num 1 cyl carb no different the other 2 slow engin down.If I move the throttle manuly it crank up fast no hasatation. Im at whitts end any help You may have I will try it thanks Still can,t put it in to gear. Skipper who."

"just a thought,i have seen th

"just a thought,i have seen the other post:
(what is the engine rpm while at idle)
and there is no difference when you cover the carb entirely with your hand,(check fuel delivery to that cyl.)

connecticut is a little too far for me to drive to i would like to see this for myself.live in mass"

It sounds like you are running

It sounds like you are running on two cylinders. Check for spark in number 1.

"Agree with Tony, #1 cylinder

"Agree with Tony, #1 cylinder not operating properly, compression, spark and fuel is all it takes."

"I was going to take a compres

"I was going to take a compression test. but can,t find comp. gauge. Started the engine and put my palm over each cly. 1 NO CHANG 2 SMALL CHANGE 3 i COULD FEEL THE SUCKION ON MY PALM aLL MOST STALLED THE ENGINE.I FEEL THAT THE REED ON 1 AND 2 ARE NOT WORKING RIGHT. aNY IDEAS ABOUT THIS. sorry caps were locked.What does any one else think. t y william. Time to junk it."

"Find the compression gauge!

"Find the compression gauge!

Compression should be approximately 100+ psi and even on all cylinders.

Check spark with the spark plugs removed. Spark should jump a 7/16" gap on all cylinders with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

If either of the above is not up to specifications, find out why before going any further.

If the above two areas are as they should be, you're overlooking something in the carburetor area."

Thank You all. Sons comeing ov

Thank You all. Sons comeing over today and we are going over the engine with a fine tooth comb Ill let you know what we find William.

"Here we go. Psi cly 1 115 cly

"Here we go. Psi cly 1 115 cly2 110 cyl 3 115. Spark on all cly. Its starts and idels high and I lower the warm up throttle down to a lower speed ,It starts running for a while then i hit the choke and it picks up.If I rase the speed up a little it runs 1/2 hr no problem.Slow it down and try to put it in gear it stalls.Is it possiable there is a air to gas ratio problem,with timing ty william"

"low speed still clogged,impro

"low speed still clogged,improper timing,broken flywheel key,fuel/oil ratio incorrect,water in fuel,vaccuum leak in crankcase,shifter/carb syncronization incorrect.usually strip carbs of all rubber etc then soak overnight in gunk.make sure low speed setting is correct and orifice/jet is clear,reassemble.all butterflys should open at same time.syncronize.!"

"As above, clean and rebuild t

"As above, clean and rebuild the carburetors. Make a effort to manually clean the brass high speed jets located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers."

After 6 HRS of trying I have I

After 6 HRS of trying I have IT going You can not belive what I did to get it there Im going to take it to the river in the morning and Ill give Yall a report.

"Guess what I did I forgot to

"Guess what I did I forgot to turn the key off and i had a dead battery, and I never made it out . Now with the rain coming in I don,t know when I will get it out sorry."

"I have the exact engine, and

"I have the exact engine, and am in CT.
I don't know if I could help much, but cleaning those carbs took me over a week to do them correctly.
I think "clean the carbs" can have wildly different meanings to different people.
If you ever want to sell the engine, drop me a pm."

"Why I got differant as to one

"Why I got differant as to one cyl ,the 3 one and the other 2 was because the carbs were no sinkcronise no right spelling is bad. The thorttle linkage was off. The fuel line had a leak. The remote linkage was not working right I had to disconnect the recktofior.gee i wished i had spell check here. The key switch is messed up long time to get it right and now its raining for the next 2 days. w t crap is next."

Back