Logo

Motor will not stay running

lleder

"96 150hp fs johnson, replaced

"96 150hp fs johnson, replaced key sw, still same,are there any relays on motor that would cause this problem. help"

"96 johnson fs 150... engine s

"96 johnson fs 150... engine starts, turn key to run position engine quits, if i leave key in start position engine will run so does the starter, have replaced sw, engine ran great till that point, no problem, check low oil sw seems to be ok.but not sure,filled oil tank,will oil sw shut down engine if ng.tks joe reeves."

"need to recheck your ign sw w

"need to recheck your ign sw wiring,somehow you got some wires crossed so the power is not being directed to the ignition its grounded in run position."

"disconnect wire at starter so

"disconnect wire at starter solenoid,unplug main harness at engine.jump with good cables directly at starter+ find a suitable ground on engine at or near starter.remove plugs if you dont want engine to start prior to test.it appears the bendix is either frozen at starter or the wire you removed from solenoid was hot all the time.
this will help you isolate this electrical problem like you would seperate two wild children.
lol"

"Larry.... Your statement of &

"Larry.... Your statement of " have replaced sw, engine ran great till that point, no problem" leaves me to believe that this problem did not exist until you replaced the ignition switch. If this is not the case, please phrase your words differently.

However, with the problem still existing as described in your 1st and 4th post, what are the terminal markings on the back of the ignition switch, and what color are the wires attached to what terminal."

"Joe Reeves; when problem star

"Joe Reeves; when problem started was before i replaced a new sw and problem still existed thinking the sw was the problem, also replaced battery, it also was running good after battery change.could not have made a mistake when i replaced new sw made a drewing, before removing wires, the problem was still the same with old sw. will have to go back and remove new sw,can't read numbers on old sw,will take a while later.Larry"

"martin johnson; the kill sw i

"martin johnson; the kill sw is on egn, key sw also, does it also kill the engine. will it start if you do not have kill part installed on the sw???? but it coes, Larry"

"Larry, sounds like you've

"Larry, sounds like you've covered all bases, so to speak, to avoid wiring errors. Excellent description of problem.

I assume you have the type kill switch whereas a black/yellow wire, which is attached to one of the "M" terminals of the ignition switch, leads to the kill switch..... and the other terminal of the kill switch leading to a ground. That same "M" terminal of the ignition switch should also have another black/yellow wire attached that leads back to the engine's powerpack.

The ignition is self contained, meaning that ther stator provides the voltage/power to the powerpack. The powerpack does not require battery voltage to function.

Mater Of Fact..... If any battery voltage is applied to that black/yellow wire leading to the powerpack, THAT will DESTROY the powerpack in a very short time span.

Check to make sure that no voltage is applied to that black/yellow wire..... but if it is, find out why and correct that problem. If voltage is being applied but ONLY when the key is released to the RUN position, I would strongly suspect that the voltage is somehow being drawn from the "A" terminal to the "M" (black/yellow) terminal.

This may not be the case but it's something worth checking.

At any rate, let us know the terminal markings of the ignition switch are and what color wires are attached to which terminal.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back